Junior Statesmen of America summer school program -University of Southern California

truonge 1 / -  
The prompt is: USC's speaker series "What Matters to Me and Why" asks faculty and staff to reflect on their values, beliefs, and motivations. Presenters talk about choices they have made, difficulties encountered, and commitments solidified. Write an essay about an event or experience that helped you learn what is important to you and why it is important.

"What would the world be like today if Columbus had never discovered America?" my United States History teacher inquired. With a smirk, I whispered to my neighbor, "I would probably be in China." Ms. Ralph overheard this remark, and she replied, "That is exactly right. None of us would be here." This insightful declaration sent a plethora of thoughts flashing through my mind. I would not be able to get tacos at one station in the cafeteria and pizza at the next? I would not hear English spoken in one classroom and German in another? Wait, I would not even know English! I could not fathom a world in which people lived in isolation from one another.

In the modern world, many nations are comprised of diverse people from various ethnic and religious backgrounds. This "melting pot" factor has become so common that many of us fail to appreciate the range of thoughts, cultures and discoveries that others offer. We may in fact even neglect our own roots. I myself had never fully valued my rich Chinese culture. I would gaze at Caucasian girls in envy, and I would even wish that I were of European descent. I would grow red with humiliation and resentment when my family called me by my Chinese name in public. As I progressed into adolescence, I especially detested the values of the Chinese when my peers would go out on weekends and I was at home studying for the SATs. I began to believe that the American culture and perspective on life was the only justifiable one.

My experiences at the Junior Statesmen of America's summer school program at Princeton University would completely revolutionize the value I placed on diversity.

When I arrived on campus that muggy summer day, I automatically sensed that that environment was different from that of my city of residence. It was not the breath-taking colonial beauty of the site, or the strange squirrels that did not shy away from humans. It was the bustle of international students looking for their dorms and making new acquaintances. This university offered a rich mixture of scholars from all over the world, and I was astonished when I realized that I was pleased to be able to contribute my ethnicity to it. I would soon discover that diverse people also bring unique ideas and perspectives.

The majority of domestic students have been taught about the American Revolution by American teachers who favor the "patriots." I got the opportunity to learn American history from the viewpoint of an Englishman, Professor MacDonald. He presented a whole new outlook on the topic, one that American students have never even envisioned. American textbooks usually praise the founding fathers as courageous men who overthrew the reigns of oppression. MacDonald criticized them, noting that they were ungrateful and insubordinate rebels who "bit the hand that fed them." I was shocked to hear that anyone did not revere Washington and Franklin. I anticipated that my peers would rebuke his comments, but nobody did. From this episode, I realized that different people approach concepts from their own unique perspectives. Therefore, they are not necessarily wrong. On the contrary, they may reveal truths that our eyes have neglected to see.

Our peers provide varied insights, opinions and cultures. In turn, we can each contribute our character and intellect to the rich assortment. I embrace diversity and my own ethnicity. Both factors have helped shape me into a sensitive, diligent, and curious scholar. I am truly grateful.
MARIOFOREVER 2 / 3  
This university offered a rich mixture of scholars from all over the world, and I was astonished when I realized that I was pleased to be able to contribute my ethnicity to it.

You may consider re-writing this sentence. I feel like it's not flowing as much as your other sentences.

A great essay in overall. Princeton saved the day(I liked the example). : ) Congratz.

Home / Undergraduate / Junior Statesmen of America summer school program -University of Southern California