'You are lucky to live in the suburbs' - Why Washington University?

ankitrohan 1 / 3  
I am a suburb boy. I have always been told, "You are lucky to live in the suburbs. It's your own oasis, secluded from the hustle and bustle of an industrialized society" and I am proud to hear that. However, I begin to realize that unlike a major city, such as New York (where there is never sleep); a suburb is drab and plain, just black and white. Don't get me wrong, peace is great, but there is a fine line between quiet, and silent. On the other hand, Washington University offers a more upbeat niche of a city like St. Louis, but also a peaceful, serene campus for its students. St. Louis is well known for its prestigious universities such as Washington University, many diverse cultures, and a display of great development over time. I remember a time when I visited a college fair at Illinois University last summer. I was immediately drawn to the immense flag of Washington University that sprinkled with red and greed colors. Then, I heard the alumni and professors' speak about the extraordinary study abroad opportunities. There is no other university that lets you research topics for music. Washington University has to most diverse set of programs that not only let you perform research for science or mathematics, but architecture, engineering, foreign language, and fine arts as well. Since I plan to take an array of courses in college, I am glad that I will be given the opportunity to explore all of my interests through the downright spectacular research opportunities presented. Located in the heart of St. Louis, Washington University surrounds students with so much culture and diversity that I can socially interact and intellectually grow with as a person.
John9879 2 / 3  
Do you mean University of Illinois? And no contraction after professors, and the "to" is out of place, did you mean to put "the"?
OP ankitrohan 1 / 3  
First off, WOW!! I am so happy that a reply came so soon!!

And yes, I meant the instead of to.
Also, yes for U of I

Is there anything else you ca suggest, grammar or sentence construction??
deathgoest 2 / 3  
well, the beginning looks aggressive(i don't know why i have such a feeling...but it does) I think it's better to say how you match this school and how this school attracts you
OP ankitrohan 1 / 3  
Deathgoest:

I wanted to start the essay off with a bit of who I am, I wanted a background to make it more personal. How do you suggest I incorporate both how the school attracts me etc. and a personal background?

Home / Undergraduate / 'You are lucky to live in the suburbs' - Why Washington University?