'nothing is guaranteed' - Villanova Supplement

shmegg 7 / 26 1  
PROMPT:One of the principles of Villanova, as an Augustinian university founded on the teachings of St. Augustine, is that students and faculty learn from each other. As you imagine yourself as a member of the Villanova community, what is one lesson that you have learned in your life that you will want to share with others?

My essay still needs to be much much longer, all I am asking for is some ideas that I can add/elaborate on.

I learned that nothing is guaranteed and you can lose anything unexpectedly. Two years ago, my grandmother passed away. She was a great role model not only for me, but for everyone around her. All the times we spent together, whether going on bike rides, playing the piano, or picking cherries off of her backyard tree, it never even came to mind that there was a time limit on some of life's simplicities.
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
I learned that nothing is guaranteed and you can lose anything unexpectedly.

If I were you, I would not write this statement at the beginning of the essay. I recommend you to write a narrative essay. Start the essay like a story. Introduce your grandmother first and make it clear why she was a role model for you. Talk about your relationship with her. Try to portray all positive aspects of your grandmother's behavior to make the reader like your grandmother too. Then talk about her death as a very sad event in your life. Finally, through a conclusion mention that nothing is permanent in this transient world and "I learned that nothing is guaranteed and you can lose anything unexpectedly" .

Hope this helps
Regards
Ahmad
alexh983 - / 9 1  
I think you should try to add more about the lesson part of this besides that there is a limit. It does not sound very personal right now and is rather negative.

Home / Undergraduate / 'nothing is guaranteed' - Villanova Supplement