NYU Supplement Personal Statements -- Looking for Constructive Criticism!

loveyelledno 5 / 16  
In addition to any work experience that you listed on your application, please tell us how you spent your most recent summer vacation.

It isn't easy being a Harry Potter fan. Waiting on a two block line for a midnight release for an anticipated Potter flick is normal for any fandom member. Some called me crazy, others joined me. Being engulfed in a sea of screaming Potter fans at the New York City premiere almost two weeks prior was an experience I would never forget; after all, I have the scars and signatures to prove it. What does it take to be a Potter fan? It takes determination, guts, and a willingness to get a black eye.

If you had the opportunity to spend one day in New York City with a famous New Yorker, who would it be and what would you do?

A day with Lucy McGillicuddy would be the epitome of hilarity. Our day would consist of montages at Fifth Avenue's most expensive stores. Clothes would be tried on, but never purchased. Our lattes would get cold after speaking for hours about favorite films, attractive celebrities, and Ricky Ricardo's habit of underestimating Lucy's talents. How easily I could relate. New York City streets would be filled with hysteric laughter at our own ridiculous jokes. The city, our inevitable playground.

Write a haiku, limerick, or short poem that best represents you.

I am no genius
But ne'er underestimate
I will prove you wrong.

In the year 2050, a movie is being made of your life. Please tell us the name of your movie and briefly summarize the story line.

Ink. (My name), Editor-At-Large of a prominent New York City magazine, has taken on his most difficult challenge yet---himself. Given the task of writing an article depicting the beginnings of a successful journalist, (my name) must return to his roots to discover the life he has attempted to forget. The challenge becomes harder than anticipated when he must recount the torment of high school homophobia, the struggles of a financially crippled mother, and the burden of a distant father.

Please tell us what led you to select your anticipated academic program and/or NYU school/college, and what interests you most about your intended discipline.

The meeting between Steinhardt and I seemed like sudden fate. The Media, Culture, and Communications program had awakened an interest that I believed to be non-existent. I now understand the way media expands culture. The way culture expands media. As an MCC major I will have the opportunities of NYU and Steinhardt alike at my disposal. I will use those opportunities in conjunction with the city to not only further my endeavors, but to make my voice heard. I hope the Comm. Club has room for a new member.
I think you could come up with a few more haikus and then choose your favorite. It does not help to say you re not a genius; you very possibly are! I think genius is discovered all of a sudden.

Other than that, can't suggest much, because these are already inspired. After something is inspired, it should be left as it is, for the most part, flaws and all. But I might suggest:

My meeting with Steinhardt seemed like...

Home / Undergraduate / NYU Supplement Personal Statements -- Looking for Constructive Criticism!