"pace movies and science fiction novels" - Stanford intellectual vitality essay

coldplay 2 / 4  
PROMPT - Stanford's students are known widely to possess a sense of intellectual vitality. Tell us about an idea or experience you have had that you find intellectually engaging

With a family of computer engineers, information technology has always been intrigued me. As I grew up I was amazed to see how small things like two connecting parts, rolling a ball were based on complex theories of science and the calculator, the games I used to play as a kid, almost everything was based on intricate programming. Each day feels like the first day of finding and learning something new.

For me, robots were the stuff of space movies and science fiction novels until my dad introduced me to the world of robotics when I was 13, and since then my fascination has evolved into a passion. When other kids spent their vacations playing Xboxes and PlayStations, I indulged myself in programming. From a robot that follows a straight line to one that climbs up poles, programming has been the most integral part of every robot I have made. The robot design is futile without perfect programming. I started programming with the basic LEGO ROBOLAB software and now I've gained proficiency in using various programming languages, including C++ and Java. But this interest of mine was not just limited to programming robot, but also to website design and making new software. With the help of various sites on the internet I learnt the VB programming, which further enhanced my ability to program. The part of programming that fascinated me the most was how it combined all the parts of science and mathematics in some way or the other. Further researches led me to use the mathematical operations like logic, arithmetic, trigonometry and many others to create various programs, some for even controlling robots to do virtually anything

This interest of mine has really challenged me to begin thinking more logically. Whenever I see new software, website or a robot, neurons of my mind which have already been programmed, automatically start the work to decode the program behind that.
alex2493 2 / 4  
Since then, my initial...

small plastic Lego parts

i think you may get into too much detail about specific programs..you may want to talk more about why it is engaging for you
ziranshng 5 / 17  
When I got home, within my sheer enthusiasm to learn something new

I would focus more on the intellectual vitality part, you talk a lot about robots but there is a little much detail about your interest that for me covers up why robots are intellectually engaging for you.
OP coldplay 2 / 4  
so should I write about how I got into robotics and how my interest has developed over the period?
lightoftheeyes - / 7  
Hey! Good luck w/ Stanford. =D I also applied there. Your essay answers the prompt and is concise for the most part. However, I'm taking that your major is computer science/engineering; a lot of people in your major will write the same type of story. I'm not saying to re-write the whole thing, but understand that many students will have similar essays like this.

With a family of computer engineers, I feel information technology seems like a second nature to me . When I wasGrowing up, I was amazed to learn how small things, like two connecting parts,and rolling a ball, were based on complex theories of science. My calculator, the games I used to played as a kid, almost everything was based onhad intricate programming. Each dayDaily, I was findingfound and learninglearned something new.
OP coldplay 2 / 4  
Hey thanks a lot for the editing :D
I totally get what you are trying to say, so according to you what should I add?

All the Best with your applications :)
lightoftheeyes - / 7  
Your welcome. Maybe you could provide a specific instance when you programmed a software/machine (I'm sorry; I'm more into biomedical than programming, so I don't know what you "programmed" :P) and how it impacted your life/view of technology/anything special in your opinion.

And good luck with your applications, too! =D

Home / Undergraduate / "pace movies and science fiction novels" - Stanford intellectual vitality essay