(Reborn Me) - U of Texas Topic E Issue of Importance

KeonYe 6 / 17  
Choose an issue of importance to you - the issue could be personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation.

Reborn Me

The elegant Guzheng's sound slipped through the silent air. With every beat of the Chinese 24-seasons drums, a group of figures moved gracefully. The audience, struck by the beauty of ancient Chinese dance and the power of modern street dance, did not blink their eyes even once. I made a flip and successfully put an end to the performance. At the moment when I heard the clapping of acknowledgement from the audience, I knew that I would regret it if I did not make the right choice to accept this fateful performance.

Three months before the performance, I hesitated when my friend Peter approached me and asked me to be the choreographer and dancer for this performance. It was a dance performance combining both modern street dance and ancient Chinese dance into one. I might be good at both street dance and Chinese dance, but combining both? It is like asking me to mix oil and water together. Furthermore, being engaged with other activities and exams, I had no confidence to live up to Peter's expectation. However, my passion for dance fought against my lack of confidence. I kept asking myself: "Do you want to miss doing something in which you are really interested?" It was not only for my friend Peter, the performance organizer, but also for my passion for dance.

Finally, my passion prevailed over my hesitance. Although it might consume much time and effort, I wanted to work hard for my passion. I wanted to feel alive. This experience has completely changed me. Before this, I never thought street dance and Chinese dance could be combined together. With the help from Peter, I had tried different combinations. I finally found that matching old Chinese music with new Hip-hop dance and a little of Choseon dance would work out the best after much hard work. Through this opportunity, I realized that the word "impossible" often diminishes the will to try and work hard. Hence, we have to have "hard work" and "belief", which are the natural enemies of "impossible". As long as we hold our beliefs and work toward accomplishing them, we can paint rainbows even in the darkest of nights.

Because of my acceptance of Peter's request to choreograph and perform, I have greatly reduced his burden to hold this event successfully. I derived much satisfaction when I heard the word "thanks" from Peter. After all, it is not bad to spend time with friends, lend them a hand when they need it. As we walk through our paths of life, we might overlook many valuable things. From a young age, I have always put forth a full effort on my studies. Hours spent every day were just for a result slip with "A"s on it in exchange. Although I would join friends' outings occasionally, I did not really enjoy spending time on ice-skating or playing tennis with them. I would rather study for examinations, read scientific encyclopedias and study about world cultures. From this experience, I learned that life is not merely about studies or future career. Sometimes, slowing our pace in the current fast-paced lifestyle and caring about people around us offer new perspectives. If it were not for the people in our lives, we would not become the people we are.

Through this issue, I am no longer lack of confidence and now dare to pursue my goals. Engineering has always been the ideal career for which I yearn. No matter how hard the path in front of me would be, I am prepared and I endeavor to work for it. I will take every chance to conduct researches, partake in different investigations, and fully prepare myself to become a successful engineer during the courses in the College of Engineering of the University of Texas at Austin. I am also not the old Kent Yee who was indifferent of the people around him. I appreciate building relationships with different people and helping them. From interacting with them, I embrace different cultures, thinking, and perspectives. Hence, I evolve into a better person. Living in the current, cold, fast-paced society, I urge to help even more people, not only my friends and family, but also people whom I do not know. Now, I would visit senior citizen homes and orphanages to volunteer myself. There are still many people who need the concern of society. I want to be not only a mechanical engineer, but also a 'soul engineer'.

Standing on the stage, I was glad that I discovered something new within me and in the world. As if the audiences were clapping for my new transformation, I truly enjoyed the sound made by the collisions of palms. This seemingly insignificant issue has turned me into a significant person. Welcome, the newly reborn me.

Please help with my grammar, essay flow, idea, and overall impression. Did I answer the essay prompt correctly? Deadline is approaching >< pls help me~~ Thank you.
This experience has completely changed me. Before this, I never thought street dance and Chinese dance could be combined. together.

With the help from Peter, I had tried different combinations.

As long as we hold our beliefs and work toward accomplishing them, we can paint rainbows even on the darkest of nights.

Because of my acceptance of Peter's request to choreograph and perform, I had greatly reduced his burden, and we held this event successfully.

I would rather study for examinations, read scientific encyclopedias and study about world cultures.

Because of this experience , I am no longer lack of confidence and now dare to pursue my goals.

I am no longer the old Kent Yee who was indifferent to
the people around him.

I LOVE your last paragraph!!
Your sleepless night was well worth it!

:)
Good luck.

Home / Undergraduate / (Reborn Me) - U of Texas Topic E Issue of Importance