Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'sent to live with relatives' - u mich supplement

anpan 4 / 8  
Describe the unique qualities that attract you to the specific undergraduate College or School (including preferred admission and dual degree programs) to which you are applying at the University of Michigan. How would that curriculum support your interests?

I was kind of drunk when i wrote this please don't mind. I can tell the essay is weak or at least it's not good enough for me, so please critique and help me rephrase things!!

Throughout my childhood, I was sent to live with relatives from time to time due to my mother's inability to support me. Changes were hard for me to cope with, and moving to a new school or a new country was never a fun experience. I would never want to return to those places. However, Ann Arbor is an exception.

I moved to Ann Arbor during my junior year of high school. What struck me first about the place was how friendly people were and how easy it was for me to fit in. Furthermore, living with my cousin, who happened to be doing her masters at University of Michigan's College of Engineering, allowed to me catch a glimpse of the students' daily life and gave me opportunities to visit the University of Michigan campuses. Like my cousin, I would love to be immersed in challenging classes with rigorous workloads. Ann Arbor, being a college town, gives a studious vibe and few distractions outside of school. As an eager learner, I opt for a learning environment which will provide me with motivation, help me concentrate and push me to do my best.

Upon research what attracted me the most about University of Michigan is the actuarial and financial mathematics major offered by the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts. I've always enjoyed working with numbers, which provides me a sense of familiarity, and am especially interested in pursuing a career in actuarial science, which is not offered by many schools. University of Michigan's actuarial science program, one of the most outstanding ones in the country, pave path for my future actuary career. Conveniently, thebroad variety of variety of other undergraduate programs offered by the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts will allow me to explore my interests in other fields such as, art and foreign language.

In addition, University of Michigan is well known for its multicultural student body. In my seventeen years of life, I've lived in China, Saipan, Guam and the mainland U.S. Whether it was to a new school, new neighborhood or a different country, changes in language and culture were inevitable. As a result, I have learned to appreciate the diversity in this world. The numerous people I've encountered with different ethnic background has greatly altered my worldview and broaden my horizon. In college I hope to be on a campus which will main same level of diversity,and I feel that University of Michigan would be a great fit for my educational goals. Not only will I be able to study in a nationally-recognized actuarial science program, but I'd also be able to do so with students from different cultural and ethnic backgrounds as well. My love of numbers, of cultures and people, caters to my love of learning, and with the study abroad opportunities and diversity on campus, University of Michigan offers an unparalleled study experience, which will enable me to advance my knowledge in both business and the world around me.

Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it. (Approximately 250 words)

On the outside, most people see me as a private school student, attending the most prestigious college prep high school on an island in the Pacific called Guam. However I'm unlike other private school students, who have their future planned out by their parents, and readily follows along. I belong to the community of online bloggers, many of whom are champions of free thinking. With the rising engagement of teenagers on the internet, I soon found tumblr to be my second home. At first, blogging allowed me to freely voice my opinions and proved to be an escape from the stress of daily life. But it soon evolved into a melting pot of intellectual exchange, where I was able to interact with bloggers from all over the world. I feel that though I am physically on Guam, mentally I was able to travel the world and witness not only the beauty but also the cruelty of mankind.

Ultimately, blogging has allowed me to "transcend through cultural ghettos"; it has shaped my view of the world, taught me to be more open-minded and to look at matters in different perspectives. (Elif Shafak) Now I blog not only as a hobby, but do so to promote global awareness to other teenagers and adults alike. The blogging community offers me two things I value the most, a place to express myself without limitations and an opportunity to make a difference in someone else life; it's a place where I truly belong.

Home / Undergraduate / 'sent to live with relatives' - u mich supplement