Personal Statement for MPH application

MPH2013 1 / 3  
Hello friends, I am applying for MPH program and would need your help on my PS. Thanks a lot!

Text:
Who is the one that had impacted your life most? My answer is, and will always be, my grandpa. I was raised in a small town in China, and education was so emphasized there. My parents did not finish their high school, so were even many of my peers. However, my grandpa always believed that good education is the only way to stand you out. He saw my potential and pushed me in every possible way to excel in my school work. Fortunately, I got accepted to a major university, which was probably one of his proudest things. The college life kept me away from my hometown and I only got the chance to go home till first winter break. What I found out then was that my grandpa died of liver cancer several days ago. It happened only 4 weeks after the diagnosis. He did not want me to learn this so that I could focus on my finals. I was completely collapsed. However, my grandpa has always been my impetus to do research no matter where he is.

6 years ago I came to US for graduate school, aiming to receive more advanced and systematic training on research. I knew that grandpa would have been proud of my decision too. My career plan was conducting biomedical studies, especially cancer research, which ultimately can be applied to human. The application of a MPH program was not on my schedule. I did not have the chance to learn what the public health was really about until last year, when I was motivated to take a two-semester Biostatistics series due to the need of statistical analysis on my dissertation research. In addition to the principles of Biostatistics and SAS programming, I was also introduced to the research from public health's prospective. The quick taste of public health completely expanded my definition of research, making me realized that (cancer) research is not only about biological changes but also social and environmental influences.

Therefore, here I am applying for your MPH program in Biostatistics. First, I am desperate for more statistical knowledge applied in public health, which will help with not only the analysis but design of my future biomedical research. Second, I really want to follow my new-found interest as a "side project". Public health is a simple, cheap and efficient method to keep the public away from health issues. After the complete of MPH, I would like to gain some working experience in a research branch where I can apply both biology and public health skills. One of my targets is the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), where they bring together people in life sciences, biostatistics and epidemiology to better explore the causes of cancer. What's more special about IARC is that they have intensive cooperation with undeveloped and developing countries on cancer research. Ultimately I will love to get a position in a health-related organization in China. Our society has not paid enough attention to public health. I have been thinking if my grandpa and the Chinese public knew that smoking dramatically increases liver cancer risk, will the consequence be different?
jdem1901 1 / 4  
Do not restate the question in the beginning. It's unnecessary since they already know what it is. Substitute the so in "education was so emphasized there" with really . Take out "their" in the next sentence, and change it to "and neither did any of my peers." "..to stand you out" take that out. Change till to until since that is the formal word. "I was completely collapsed" take was out.
OP MPH2013 1 / 3  
thanks so much for your comments. That really helps!

Home / Undergraduate / Personal Statement for MPH application