uva - work of math that has challenged me

wongxy 14 / 53  
Hi. I'll just like to know whether my idea's fine. :)

Prompt: What work of art, music, science, mathematics, or literature has surprised, unsettled, or challenged you, and in what way?

I was thinking of talking about the golden ratio and how it occurs so naturally, how it is associated with perfection, how artists / architects have tried to replicate this perfection. Yet, in reality, we know that there's is nothing called perfection. So there's sort of an irony there. People normally want to achieve perfection, yet we know we can't be perfect. Hmm I guess that's the challenging part about the golden ratio.

So I'm intending to use the golden ratio to explore our perception of perfection.

Is that interesting enough haha? Sounds "philosophically dull" in a way hahhaa. XD
kids_jessy 8 / 34  
That's quite a cool idea :) You might want to include stuff like the Fibonnaci sequence which is a golden ratio when the number is divided by the number that precede it. and maybe mention those things that we observe in our daily life that involve the theory of golden ratio.

Just my few inputs. All the best :)
Yet, in reality, we know that there's is no such thing as perfection . So there's sort of an irony there. People normally want to achieve perfection, yet we know we can't be perfect. Hmm, I guess that's the challenging part about the golden ratio.

Good idea, kids_jessy!

:)

Kevin
OP wongxy 14 / 53  
1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21.
Sunflower petals.
The human hand.
Mona Lisa.

It probably takes a Dan Brown to tell us that all these entities are linked by the golden ratio - a mathematical constant that has intrigued many, including myself. In fact, this constant is so divine that it symbolizes perfection, something artists like Da Vinci and architects like Le Corbusier have painstakingly centered their works on, and something we all hope to achieve. Yet, having known that the pursuit of perfection is futile, we should recognize that our aspirations to be perfect are nothing but ironic.

So why do we still desire to be perfect?

Evidently, the golden ratio has not only unveiled secrets in our physical surroundings, but also those of human nature. Perhaps it is not a choice, but a calling, for us to be perfect. Perhaps this discovery was not coincidental, but planned by the truly divine. After all, the hints given by nature must be too apparent to dismiss.

What then happens to flaws?

To me, flaws are beautiful. They mark the desire to achieve more and they reflect reality. Flaws may rob us of our fantasies, but they plunge us right into the intricacies in life. With no flaws to work on, life would be monotonous.

Ultimately, I do not need a mathematical constant to tell me what is perfect because, in the first place, perfection does not steer my life. Nonetheless, the way it has driven many other lives proves mystifying.

-end of essay-

There's a 250 word limit and I have written exactly 250 words. >< I didn't expound the theory of the golden ratio though. Just briefly mentioned its occurrences. Felt the focus of the qtn is on the 2nd part instead. Hopefully I've answered it adequately enough. XD
kids_jessy 8 / 34  
I like the way you start this essay :) As for the content, you might want to talk a bit more about the golden ratio if you intend to use that as your subject matter. I understand that there is a word limit of 250 words, however I think that exceeding the word limit by a bit will not hurt much :D

Nonetheless, you can wait for the comments & corrections from the moderators and other members.

Hope it helps and all the best :)
In Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, he reminds us that all these entities are linked by the golden ratio - a mathematical constant that has intrigued many, including myself.

That golden ratio was studied even in the days of Pythagoras, so you should not make it sound like Dan Brown came up with it...

I really like the theme, here. Good job! You are very thoughtful...
gmanz 3 / 5  
you might want to avoid rhetorical questions
OP wongxy 14 / 53  
Thanks guys :)
leolee89cn - / 1  
i think your ideas are fine. haha.
sunnywowo 3 / 7  
I don't know whether you are from Singapore, but your essay sound like a GP essay. (If you are from Spore, you know what I'm talking about.) I also observed this from your other essay. The tone and the style are totally GP. Not so much content and insightful ideas but a lot of rhetorical questions, general statements and showing off of knowledge(which, sadly, doesn't seem so impressive). I think you really need to work on the content and the ideas.

Home / Undergraduate / uva - work of math that has challenged me