Visual arts/New York City, Reputation,Opportunities;PRATT Institute - Bio/ Why Pratt?

Sn3Ak3R_Fi3nD 2 / -  
Bio
For as long as I can remember, I've had a major interest in the visual arts. Over time, I began to develop a unique personality and a strong sense of style. Eventually my interest in shopping, coordinating outfits, designing, decorating, and exploring mixed-media art began to convergeïit was then that I realized I wanted to become an Interior Designer.

I am generally a fun-loving, easy-going, free-spiritïbut I'm also very focused on achieving the goals that I set for myself. One of those goals is becoming the first in my family to graduate from collegeïand ultimately pursue a career in the design field.

I have a strong work ethicïdeveloped both by persevering through various, challenging, life experiences while growing up in the inner-city and also as a volunteer, working to make a positive difference in my community.

Why do you want to attend Pratt and what do you hope to accomplish with your education?

I would like to attend Pratt for many different reasons. The most important reason is because I've lived my entire life in Minnesota and I feel it's time to see and do new things in a different environment if I am to find my voice as a designer. My art instructors have told me that there is no better place to explore, be motivated, and inspired than New York City. Through these new experiences I will find new ways to express my ideas about style, gain important technical knowledge and (most importantly) grow in confidence as a person. By pursuing my education at an established, highly-regarded institution like Pratt, will expand my imagination with new possibilities, build a strong network of friends and faculty, plus increase my professional opportunities. I will enter the design field with the necessary skills to take my creativity and passion for interiors to the highest level.

For the past four years, I've taken advanced studio art courses at Juxtaposition Arts center in Minneapolis. Last summer an instructor there recommended me for an internship in the Interiors department at BWBR Architects. During the summer at BWBR I experienced and learned many new things that will be put to good use in my future career. However, although the employees there were great and very accepting of me, I realized that the firm lacked diversity. I was the only African-American female working there during that time. That experience at BWBR has made me even more determined to pursue a career in interior design. I know for certain that that's where my heart is.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

You've written a very good essay! I have just a few suggestions for you:

free-spirit - when used as an adjective, free-spirited, it's hyphenated, but when a noun, as you have it, there's no hyphen: free spirit.

I have a strong work ethic-developed both by persevering through various, challenging, life experiences while growing up in the inner-city and also as a volunteer, working to make a positive difference in my community. - If you say "both by" you need to balance it with "and by" rather than "and also as." I think a comma would be better here than the em-dash after work ethic.

By pursuing my education at an established, highly-regarded institution like Pratt, will expand my imagination with new possibilities, build a strong network of friends and faculty, plus increase my professional opportunities. - As you can see, you need to eliminate "By" and start the sentence with "Pursuing."

Best of luck in your studies!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / Visual arts/New York City, Reputation,Opportunities;PRATT Institute - Bio/ Why Pratt?