Detecting Deception Based on Nonverbal Behaviour Cues:a literature review

lialia 2 / 5  
Please help to check for grammer mistakes and to add in more words if possible related to this above mentioned topic

Communication plays an important role in everyone's life. People communicate based on their personality as well as their motives or intentions. When people deliberately attempted to provide misleading information, deception took place. It is important to know about deception especially in sales; relationship, police and army as it allowed the observers to detect whether communication was truth or not, and an appropriate detection of truth or deception led to higher chance of detection.

If observers could detect whether the communication were truth or deception, then their accuracy rates would be of a higher probability. In Porter, Woodworth and Birt's study (2000) showed that though detecting deception was difficult, it could be improved through training and feedback. Also detection of deception did not depend on one's investigative experience. They believed that deception occurs frequently during the parole interview. It is important that parole officers make accurate judgement and minimize false-positive and false-negative errors to the lowest possibility. The decisions that would steer to such errors are based in part on the observed credibility of the offender on the parole interview.

Detecting of deception and truth were more accurate on voice pitch. Vrij's (2001) study explained that the emotional approach resulted in stress due to caused of guilt of doing things that were not allowed to do and it also aroused the deceiver to behave nervously when they are tensed up which resulted in the increase in speech disturbances and higher pitched voice. Liars could always deceive others on movement by protruding an honest behaviour but not on the voice pitch. Therefore it is important to detect through the observation of voice pitch.

According to Vrij's(1996) deception usually made between actual and perceived indicators (DePaulo, Stone, & Lassiter, 1985;Zuckerman, DePaulo, & Rosenthal, 1981). Actual indicators were nonverbal behaviours which have been found to be related with deception. Through several meta-analyses (e.g., Vrij, 1991) suggested that it was related to increase in speech disturbances like (more ahs and non-ahs), higher-pitched voice and slower speech rate and the decrease in hands and legs movement. While perceived indicators were nonverbal behaviours which observers believed to be related with the deception. It was suggested from meta-analyse that there were many speech disturbances, higher-pitched voice, slower speech rate and the increase in hands and legs movement.

The past reports were generated by a smaller population while the recent experiment was generated by a larger population; therefore it was better and more generalized. Also, testing of deception in previous experiment was not done through face to face contact compared to the recent experiment. It would enhance the accuracy as it induced more stress to the person telling the deception thus protrude more obvious cues.

The present study aimed to study whether people could detect deception through nonverbal behavioural and the complexity of detecting deception.

It was hypothesis that if observers could detect whether the communication were truth or deception, then their accuracy rates would be of a higher probability. It was also hypothesis that those who relied more on voice pitch would be more accurate at detecting deception and truth.

Method
The 761 people participants in the study consists of 454 females and 307 males, with ages ranging from 17-56 years, and mean age of 19.77 years (SD = 2.58 years). The experiment was conducted at the University of Queensland and participants were part of an undergraduate psychology tutorial exercise.

This study has an experimental design using non random allocation approach and a repeated measure. Independent variable of first hypothesis is the event description either truth or deception and the dependent variable is detection of the response accurately. Furthermore, measured variable of second hypothesis is to find the degree of reliance on voice pitch with a dependant of detecting responses accurately.

On the Laboratory Report Data Collection sheet, two tables were constructed to the measure participants' deception. On Table 1 of this survey, it was designed to conjecture if the participants were telling the truth or deception and check if the presumption is correct. Results from the first table were then tabulated onto the second table. Formula was given, to calculate the accuracy of deception.

On Laboratory Report Data Recording Sheet, participants were instructed to rate the strength of their agreement to the behavior of deception on a scale from 1(did not use at all) to 5(used all the time). Data sheet had also included information such as gender and age.

All 761 participants were groups into group of four to five persons in their tutorial class. Each would be providing two events, which could be true or deception. While the rest of the observers would have to guess if they were telling the truth and tabulate their results in the laboratory report data collection sheet and recording sheet.

Results
The aim of this study was to investigate whether people can detect deception by relying on nonverbal cues (i.e. higher voice pitch). In conclusion, two interrelated hypotheses were predicted. First hypothesis indicated that it was greater than chance when observers could detect communicators were telling the truth and deception. Second hypothesis suggested that those who relied more on higher voice pitch was more accurate at detecting deception and truth.

The results were collated from all tutorial groups. The accuracy rate collected for the first hypothesis was tested statistically against chance (0.5). It was found that participants were significantly better than chance at detecting truthfulness and had a mean of 0.64 on the other hand participants who were worse than chance had a mean of 0.41.

From the results for the second hypothesis indicated that there were no significant correlations between the nonverbal indicators (i.e. eye gaze, higher voice pitch, and hand movement) and truth accuracy. However, significant positive correlation was found between attention to higher pitch voice and deception accuracy which indicated that the more the participants paid attention to the higher voice pitch, the more accurate detecting deception they were.

Discussion
As anticipated, their accuracy rates to detect deception in a communication would be greater than chance. This finding supported the results of Porter, Woodworth and Birt's study (2000) where observers could detect whether the communication were truth or deception at a higher accuracy rates. In addition, detection of deception and truth is more accurate in voice pitch. This result was also supported by Vrij's (2001).

This study was generated by a larger population; therefore it enhanced the results and made it more generalized. However, there are still some limitations to the study which was that all the participants were all students with no formal training, non formal education on the deception and the sharing of laboratory report data recording sheet. This could be improved by giving training and education to all students and having individual response sheet. The practical implication of the study can be used between sales; relationship, police and army during conversation to find out if anyone was telling a deception or truth.

Some possible future research could be done between friends and completely strange deception between different cultures, use of training and feedback, deception between genders (i.e.male vs female) as well as deception between age (i.e. primary school, secondary school, high school).
I don't see any grammar mistakes, but I can tell you're lying by analyzing your sentence structure!

No, just kidding...

Keep it in the present verb tense: When people deliberately attempt to provide misleading information, deception takes place.

It is important to know about deception, especially in sales, relationship, police and military procedures, as it...

...minimize false-positive and false-negative errors to the lowest possibili to the greatest extent possible.

It was hypothesized that if observers could detect ...

Interesting! This is a great subject...

Home / Writing Feedback / Detecting Deception Based on Nonverbal Behaviour Cues:a literature review