Since 1787, the Electoral College has been the system used in U.S to choose the country's president

gabrieloandco 10 / 11 11  
Test 6 TOEFL. Summarize a reading and listening passage.

Since 1787, the Electoral College has been the system used in U.S to choose the country's president. When it was created, the state legislatures seemed too corruptible as to give them all the power and the option of having only popular votes was rejected by the small states. Therefore, the system was created with a mix of these. This has been thoroughly argued by some to be not democratic enough.

In this system, each state has electoral votes depending on the amount of its senators, and then each state legislature chooses its electors. This has been criticized for being too complicated for Americans to understand. Also, it has been labeled as undemocratic since it doesn't represent the will of the people. After all, why should our vote mean less if we live in a populated area?

It is unlikely that the system will change anytime soon because of the small states' opposition and the comfort of many voters. However, since USA persuades other countries to be more democratic, it should honor the people's vote. It is a contradiction to fight for democracy abroad while having an Electoral College that doesn't represent fully the people's choice.
madmoiselle 21 / 32 5  
has beenwas the system used in U.S to choosefor choosing
that was rejected by the small states
This has been criticized for beingbecause too complicated
our vote mean lessis meaningless
adepani3112 5 / 8  
Instead of "when it stared" you could say following its birth....

that was rejected by small....

overall your essay contained good information in a short format.
amm_16 2 / 4  
It is unlikely that the system will change anytime soon.

It is unlikely which the system will change anytime soon

since USA persuades other countries to be more democratic

since USA have persuaded other countries to be more democratic

Home / Writing Feedback / Since 1787, the Electoral College has been the system used in U.S to choose the country's president