What is Love? What does it mean to you?

jordandhale 1 / -  
The prompt is "What is Love? What does it mean to you?" The only requirements were that you had to define love from a dictionary and be 3 pages/double spaced.

Introduction is all I have. Any criticism is appreciated!

C. S. Lewis once said, "affection is responsible for nine-tenths of whatever solid and durable happiness there is in our lives." According to the Oxford Dictionary, love is defined as an intense feeling of deep affection. Therefore, Lewis essentially said love was of utmost importance in terms of happiness. On the contrary, affection can also be the cause for nine-tenths of the miserable happenings that occur throughout our lives. Others might argue that love is actually a means of weakness in our hearts. A weakness so formidable that it allows a select few to abuse that trust and take advantage of those feelings. For some it fulfills a perverse sense of gratification just because they have the power to do so. For others it's just means to an end. That being said, whether we find true love or not, "is it better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?"
Duave 1 / 3  
For me, I think that I am more superficial. I feel that you can "get good at love". I think love is a skill that can be learned, and you won't learn it unless you put in the time. I don't think the way we as a "human civilization" has defined love is on the same premise as our evolution based neurological phenomenon that appeared in our physiological advancement. I think that the way we see love now, is through the perception of our higher evolved brains, that have the ability to recognize self, and make complex "connections" with others. That is why love has turned into a skill. There are some lovers that will make you forget about other lovers, because of there performance. Because of this, the quality of one's love can be compared, hence it becomes more competitive, due to the limitless possibilities of conceivable performances via the higher brain.

For me, I need the money and the time, then and only then will I search for love, because to be financially challenged, means it will be very hard for you to practice and practice and practice, to be a great lover. The one who practices the most in attraction and physical love making will more than likely make the better lover. Hence may be happier in life. One of the reasons why making loads of money brings happiness. So for me I need money, in order to "afford the training"... just like affording school to get an electrical engineering degree.
Therefore, Lewis essentially said love was of utmost importance in terms of happiness.

Why not keep this in present tense? Of course we need love today and also tomorrow :D
Therefore, Lewis essentially said that love is an utmost important factor for one to be happy.

On the contrary, affection can also be the cause for nine-tenths of the miserable happenings that occur throughout our lives.

On the contrary, deep affection can also be the cause for nine tenths of miserable encounters that we face in our lives.

Others might argue that love is actually a means of weakness in our hearts.

Others many argue that love reflects the weakness of our hearts.

Home / Writing Feedback / What is Love? What does it mean to you?