Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

Realism Essay - the readers choice

michaelfrye1970 9 / 21  
Had to write an essay on realism/romatacism. Please give any grammer corrections and content suggestions you may have.

Reaslism the readers choice.

American literature has encompassed various forms of writing techniques
throughout history. Many talented authors received high acknowledgements while
becoming successful writers by utilizing such forms as romanticism, regionalism, and
realism. While they vary in their effects on literature and representation of each author's views, all of these forms of expression play a significant role in the readers' understanding and admiration, or lack there of, for the piece of literary work they are associated with. Romanticism, regionalism, and realism all with their own importance, realism is perhaps the most versatile and admired form of writing.

Romanticism emerged during the later part of the 18th and 19th centuries with the premise of going against mandated rules of classicism. Relying on senses and emotion over intellect and reason was the natural instinct of a romantic writer. Rationalism was commonly gone against and nature was often a focal point of concentration. Along with these traits was the sought after goodness of humanity among people. Romanticists also focused strongly on art, believing that it could best demonstrate universal genuineness.While these factors related to romanticism were important during that era, realists continued to overcome the literary world with stories about moral or ethical situations that people found themselves in. The fantasy world of romanticism, often incorporating heroes expressing unexpected inner strengths, was temporary while the lessons in realistic works lingered with the readers.

Regionalism, also prevalent during this era, was more commonly known for
specifying geographical areas in which a story took place. Often, these works included short stories and typically incorporated sentimental values. Although regions were the primary focus, nature often represented the intended region and became the main focus of a story. Because the story lines and plots were of little importance compared to the theme, narrators commonly told the story. This alone made realism stand out as the top literary form as the audience could relate to characters as opposed to a middle-man narrator.

Realism, closely related to naturalism from the 19th century, was a very common form of literary work. Many prestigious writers, such as Mark Twain, made their mark by utilizing this technique. Often relating to middle-class society, many readers could associate themselves with the story lines expressed by these authors. In the Adventures of Huckleberry Fin (1876), Twain used such techniques as humor, various forms of speech, and folkways common to all people in that time period. The wit and criticism of society's sins he demonstrated opened the door for his readers to relate to and acknowledge his perception of daily life. Twain used Huck as a character who condemned stereotypes, such as slavery, that were all too prevalent to the nation then. Because of the use of realism, writers like Twain could ensure a sense of authenticity from his readers in knowing they could possibly be enduring some situations similar to those in his novels.

Realism presents the most relatable material to readers in the literary World of writing as it allows readers to connect on several levels associating it with their own personal lives. Romanticism and regionalism both play important roles in the many quality story lines each is used in. However, by comparing the many ways their characteristics are associated with real life fundamentals, they cannot hold up to realism. Many lessons can be learned by reading materials from the literary collections of authors that were realists in nature.

Home / Writing Feedback / Realism Essay - the readers choice