'spend your life in your own way' - GMAT ESSAY - "SUCCESS"

Asmita_ 3 / 6  
"There is only one definition of success - to be able to spend your life in your own way."

To what extent do you agree or disagree with this definition of success? Support your position by using reasons and examples from your reading, your own experience, or your observation of others.

Success means different things to different people. People define success on the basis of their perception of life. However, "to be able to spend your life in your own way" is neither a single nor a complete definition of success. So, hereafter, I would present the position against the given definition of success.

Lets take a glance of movie stars. A herd of the actors and the actresses embarked on a career as a film star which is the desired way of leading their life. But when we talk of the successful ones, only a few stars such as Amitabh Bachhan, Hema Malini and Salman Khan comes into our mind. These celebrated icons are successful because of their commendable achievements in life. In fact, now they are success they are more prone to spend their life as expected by the public at large. They can decide upon the movie to act on but many times they cannot play the role of movies which they want to. They can attend only a few selected events despite they wish to involve and enjoy other events as well. Many constraints arise in the path of their life that do not allow them pass their life in their own way. Though, they are successful because of their glorious performance.

Meanwhile, the above definition of success seems to imply that even the bacchanalians are successful because they are able to dissipate their life in their own fashion by indulging themselves in excessive drinking and promiscuity. Similarly, some of the college students like to pass their time by dabbling, going on outing and partying with friends and they do the same but fails in their academic field. Nevertheless, these kind of people also claim that "I have achieved success in my life" because they are spending their life in their own way. But the fact is that they are only satisfied for the fulfillment of their unpleasant wants and they are not called successful persons by our society.

Even the King of the nation, crowned by the success, is not able to spend his life in his own way. He needs to evince the royal decorum all the time with no exception even while interacting with his children. The true success of the King lies in efficacious and prudent use of power to rule the country, thereby, creating a developed and a peaceful nation. The king may arbitrarily use the power to expend his life but people do not use the term "successful" for such type of King. Rather, the display of the justice and the security, hoped by the nation from the king, will make him success. In other word, success means to accomplish the goal where goal serves the one who attains it as well as adds the value and contributes for some good cause in society.

In the context of business organizations, the company is successful when it is able to meet the demands of the consumer with their products and services. The successful companies conduct market research on a regular fashion, though they dislike it, in order to predict the changing needs of the consumer and then to create the products as to fully meet the expectations of market at large. These successful companies design the products and the services on the basis of what targeted consumer is awaiting for from such company.

In essence, each member of the society has many roles in their life throughout their life-cycle and it is the society that decides on what those roles ask for. Success means to thrive your goal under the purview of role you bear at that given instant. The mere spending of life in one's own way is not success. The praiseworthy input to society instead of notorious way of living is success. In true sense, success means "to be able to discharge your roles notably in the society".
pouriah 2 / 2  
lets take a glance of movie stars.

it should be " Let's take a glance at movie stars."

Home / Writing Feedback / 'spend your life in your own way' - GMAT ESSAY - "SUCCESS"