Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

Take advantage of every moment ; Colombia Essay/ Rutgers

cynthia180 1 / -  
Take advantage of every moment is what my older sister would always tell me. When I was 14 years old I visited Colombia for 3 weeks, and to this day I will never forget my experiences with the culture, people, lifestyles, or environment. I remember young children begging me for money every time I walked the streets, I saw gigantic dolls lit on fire, and I traveled up a beautiful mountain on a horse. Basically, to say my trip was interesting would be an understatement. If I was to be accepted into Rutgers, just like my trip, I could meet new people for future connections, improve my social skills, and expand my mind. However, I also plan to contribute back to the community through my participation in school activities, my cultural diversity, and my thirst for new experiences.

Once I stepped off the plane in Colombia, I knew I was in for an adventure. The people were so calm but very spontaneous at the same time. New Year's Eve was a day I'll never forget. The families from around the block where I was staying made a human-sized doll stuffed with gun-powder. Then when the New Years Countdown reached 0, an adult would light the doll on fire and the doll created a magnificent light show while everyone danced until dawn. I never danced so much in my life, I met so many people, and I had the experience of a lifetime.

When I think about the experience I would have in Rutgers I think back to my trip to Colombia. I would be stepping into an unknown territory once again. However, this time my family will be left behind. My time in Rutgers is a chance to create new connections for the future, experience college life without my parents over my back 24/7. I also want to be one of the first in my family to graduate college. Rutgers can give me the chance to open doors for job searches, career decisions, and future opportunities.

If I am accepted I plan to contribute back to the Rutgers community. I plan to continue playing the violin in college in hopes that one day the students of Rutgers or even my children will see how beautiful the violin is and will join an orchestra. Also, I speak Spanish fluently and I plan to work in the business world thus my background and diversity will help my choice of business relate more to the people because America is very diverse thus they will relate more to a diverse company. Thus forth I know my abilities, talents, and contributions will be more than enough payback if I am accepted to the Rutgers community.

Throughout my life I have had my share of experiences. For instance when I went to Colombia and experienced the country's beauty and environment. Rutgers is where I know I can relieve my experience of Colombia again but this time with more freedom and independence. Nonetheless, Rutgers would benefit as well as through my musical ability, and my cultural diversity. I just hope that after reading my essay, my experiences and contributions will shine through so that I may be accepted and become a well-developed individual in society thanks to Rutgers.

Home / Writing Feedback / Take advantage of every moment ; Colombia Essay/ Rutgers