Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

What does "Their Eyes Were Watching God" indicate about the author's vision of America?

baavaz 1 / -  
The essay is for Their Eyes were Watching God

Here's the prompt:

What does Their Eyes Were Watching God indicate about the author's vision of America and/or American life?

Here's my intro and thesis so far:

Moving Forward

Throughout much of American history, the American Dream has been the foundation of this country and has an essential role in defining the American person. The American Dream can simply be defined as the universal ability for a person to achieve their goals and aspirations through hard work and determination. In the novel Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, the classic representation of the American Dream is seen through Janie, who transforms her moral strength over the course of her life. The American Dream is the central theme and driving force to Janie's vital transformation from a girl to a woman which is demonstrated through her progression in her own love life. Janie's lifelong journey to discover her own American Dream is represented through her efforts in finding the right man.
ChristineB - / 108 55  
Hi, baavaz. I've never read Their Eyes Were Watching God, but I did review a summary of the book after doing a web search, so I will try to help you anyway.

First, let me make sure we're on the same page:
Your report is supposed to address how the book reveals the author's vision of America and American life, correct? And you are going to write about how this story shows that the author views America as a place where people can achieve their goals through hard work and determination. Is that right? It sounds like you believe that Janie's path to finding the "right man" is representative of how the author views America as a place where you can achieve your dreams if you are determined and work hard. OK, are we on the same page?

Now, let me add in a few thoughts of my own:
While I agree that the story could serve as an example of achieving the "American dream," my impression of it after reviewing the summary is that its main theme is that of overcoming hardship. Janie has had a really hard life. Her mother abandoned her, her grandmother married her off as soon as she could, her first husband was unloving, and her second husband was self-absorbed and demeaning. She even has to find the strength to kill her rabid second husband when he tries to kill her first. Yet, somehow, she manages to stay in tact, and actually presents herself with dignity at the end of the story. So, my thinking is that this story highlights the calm, self-assured integrity that Americans pride themselves on having when facing adversity. Americans think of themselves as rugged, strong, tenacious kind of people who survive and even thrive despite obstacles. Imagine how hard it was for the first Americans to set up a whole new country and fight off the established British empire...Imagine doing that today - can you imagine how hard that would be? Modern Americans take it for granted. Or think about how America managed to stay in tact, despite being pulled almost to the complete separation point during the Civil War? I'm sure there are lots of examples of how America has faced adversity and persevered, ending up victorious in the end. In my opinion, this is what the author is saying about America with her book.

What do you think?

Home / Book Reports / What does "Their Eyes Were Watching God" indicate about the author's vision of America?