Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

A master piece of creative act (A Dolls House review) IB assignment.

abody7 1 / 2  
what should i be improving on as an 11th grade IB student? this is a book review and i would like opinions about this review

thank you!

A dolls house review

A masterpiece of creative act that instantly portrays the hypocrisy of the Victorian middle class, a Dolls House was written by Henrik Ibsen in 1879 a major 19th-century Norwegian playwright, theatre director, and poet. He is often referred to as "the father of realism" and is one of the founders of Modernism in theatre. The story takes place on Christmas eve where Nora and Torvald the two main characters represented the importance of gender roles and social image throughout the Victorian era. The conflict of the story is driven by Nora's forging of loan documents to raise money for an expensive trip to Italy; Krogstad, who had processed the loan, tries to blackmail Nora over the fact that she forged the documents.

Nora who risked jeopardizing her husband's image had set the tone throughout the play as the constant change in personality set the tone of the play which Iv really enjoyed due to the unpredictable plot twists and a chance to be engaged with the Victorian culture at that time period. Their where also secondary characters such as Linde, krogstad and Dr rank that further shaped up the plot of the story, specifically Krogstad who was responsible for blackmailing Nora which set a very suspenseful and problematic tone. The title "dolls house" foreshadowed my idea of the play as the word "doll" meant being objectified which related to the main idea of the play. The book did a great job in foreshadowing and hinting future events as seen in the title. In one line, Torvald calls her "[his] dearest property"; Mrs. Linde states that she will save Nora "at any price", as if she could be bought. Though she is infatuated with the acquisition of possessions, she herself is a possession of Torvald as stated within his quote hence relating back to the title which the book I believe exceeds in doing.

My favorite character was Nora as her constant change in attitude and personality added much mystery to the plot, she made me constantly ask questions about her level of maturity and intelligence as early on she seemed to be a very reckless spoilt whimsical

girl however as the plot developed so has her personality as she seemed to be more responsible young woman, furthermore the fact that she viewed gender roles differently to characters like Linde further emphasizes her importance in the play, her drastic change in personality and disagreement with gender roles really stood out for me thus making me choose her as my favorite character.

The character roles in the play really stood out among other books as it constantly portrays gender roles and the cultural views of the Victorian era. Characters such as Torvald, Nora and krogstad kept the play exciting and unpredictable, for example, the fact that Krogstad and Linde had a romantic relationship earlier and how torvald dismissed Krogstad for the sake of image further expands on the play as it gives a more detailed background about each character thus providing further understanding to the nature of the play.

My favorite part of the play was how Nora finally stood up and decided to leave Torvald at the end of the play, this for me demonstrated her act of independence which was neglected during the time of the Victorian era, this further consolidates my decision to include her as my favorite character. The part also adds an element of mystery as I began to wonder wither or not she would be able to survive in a culture, heavily based on male superiority. The enigma therefore still defies solution of her fate.

A Dolls House however did have its flaws as I couldn't find a purpose to include Dr Rank in the play I believe he was insignificant throughout the play, none of his actions had a direct affect the action of the play. He's in love with Nora, but that leads no where. Nora considers asking him for money, but then decides against it. Even Rank's impending death doesn't really affect the action in any major way which points out to why I feel that he was insignificant throughout the play, I felt as if his inclusion had slowed down the pace of the play and the play would have benefited massively if he was not included in the play.

Overall, A Dolls House has exceeded my expectations as the constant Varity of themes, plot twists and mystery had led this to be an enjoyable experience, Ibsen wrote a story that has is clearly relevant even in todays world. Even if I grew impatient with the play's ceaseless motion it was defiantly a good read, one that I strongly recommend as it one of my all time favorites as it demonstrated rich content within the Victorian era, it also allows me to appreciate the change within women rights throughout the years.
brayan1996 17 / 34 5  
Here I have provided some corrections as I read your response.

A masterpiece of creative act that instantly portrays ...
I like this paragraph. It flows smoothly and it's not very wordy.

... set the tone of the play which IvI have really enjoyed due to the ...
TheirThere where also secondary characters ...

Made some corrections here. Everything else seems to flow well.

My favorite character was Nora as her ...

You cannot have a long run on sentence. It sounds tiring and will tire your reader revise this. see if you can incorporate it into the above paragraph.

... neglected during the time of the Victorian era, . Start new sentence here this further consolidates my ...
... as I began to wonder witherwhether or not she would be able ...
The enigma therefore still defies the solution of her fate.

Really strong and insightful paragraph here.

... he was insignificant throughout the play, (New sentence here ) I felt as if his inclusion had ...

Home / Book Reports / A master piece of creative act (A Dolls House review) IB assignment.