Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 3

The Novel Family Matters

youngmaiine 1 / -  
In the novel Class Matters by author Bill Keller, he emphasizes that inequality still exist in America. It is difficult than ever before to see because, America offered on opportunity for people to be successful. A lot of us complain so much about the inequality but some just around them. The Opportunity that some people took was to work hard and better themselves, but in fact some didn't. Those that sat around and complained that others had an easier route didn't. America offers a lot of opportunity, it's just up to us Americans to take advantage of it. Inequality get masked at the mall when people rush to the mall to get clothes that is worth $3,000 as per Chapter 9 in Class Matter. Sak's 5th Ave have customers coming in there purchasing clothes worth over $500 and above, but on the other hand there people that look like they should be on the streets begging or something. Another example of inequality gets masked is that the middle class may own a flat screen television, drive a BMW, and loves expensive chocolate such as Godiva Chocolate. It takes an heart attack to learn about inequality in America, because of the income, education, occupation, and wealth. The assistance and advancement in medicine and disease prevention has increased the life expectancy in the United States. The benefits have gone to the rich, well educated, good jobs, and well connected individuals. Also, they take advantage of the latest treatments and have the cost covered by their insurance. I think that we are all one people and our bloods are the same color, Why can't we all get the same treatment and assistance the upper class people receives? Our color, ethnicity, income, education, or wealth shouldn't be a problem for anyone not to be receiving the same medicine to better our health.

The Link Family enlightened us with their class differences. The family is mixed with working class people and upper-middle class individuals. They weren't the richest but, could maintain and supply their families and themselves. "Relo Culture" is when people want to move up and out, to become wealthier and to move into larger cities to build bigger and better houses. Personally I think the author was criticizing "Relo Culture". He feels the way I'm feeling right now, which is why everyone can't live within the same community and come together and better society instead of degrading each other because, we don't dress alike, don't have the same education, or parents not making the same amount of money. We are all Americans lets help uplift the country and not slowly bring it down to what it's not or shouldn't be. In Conclusion C. Wright Mills definition of "The Power Elite" defines the portrayed corporate executives as organization men who "must 'fit in' with those already at the top. In other words, they had to be concerned with managing their impressions, as if the appearance of good results were more important than the actuality of them. It was a big deal back in the 1950's when C. Wright Mills wrote it because, he was pointing out all the bad that American Governments were doing, how these wars such as World War II, Cold War, and the Korean War started. They controlled the beautiful country of America, the scientific achievements, and sinking roots into America's educational institutions were being self governed. If he was alive I strongly believe he would say John McCain is apart of the power and also Lady Gaga.
cmg 2 / 14  
First:
In Bill Killer's novel, "Class Matters", he emphasizes that inequality still exists in America. It is more difficult than ever to see this because America has offered a n opportunity for people to be successful. A lot of us complain so much about the inequality but some just around them. The o pportunity that some people have takenis to work hard and better themselves, but othershaven't . Those that have chosen to sit around and complain that others have an easier route did not take this offered opportunity . Inequality gets masked at the mall when people rush to the mall to get clothes that is worth $3,000 as per Chapter 9 in "Class Matters" . Sak's 5th Ave has customers coming in there purchasing clothes worth over $500 and above , but on the other hand there are people that look like they should be on the streets begging or something . Another example of inequality that gets masked is that members of the middle class may own a flat screen television, drive a BMW, and love expensive chocolate such as Godiva Chocolate. It takes a heart attack to learn about inequality in America, because of the income, education, occupation, and wealth. The assistance and advancement in medicine and disease prevention has increased the life expectancy in the United States. The benefits have gone to the rich, well educated, good jobs, and well connected individuals. Also, they take advantage of the latest treatments and have the cost covered by their insurance. I think that we are all one people and our blood is the same color, why can't we all get the same treatment and assistance members of the upper class receives? Our color, ethnicity, income, education, or wealth shouldn't be a deciding factor for anyone not to be receiving the same medicine to better our health .

The Link Family enlightened us with their class differences. The family is mixed with working class members and upper-middle class individuals. They weren't the richest but could support their families and themselves. "Relo Culture" is when people want to move up and out, to become wealthier and to move into larger cities to build bigger and better houses. Personally, I think the author was criticizing "Relo Culture". He feels the same way I'm feeling right now, which is why can't everyone live within the same community? Why can't everyone come together and better society instead of degrading each other because we don't dress alike, don't have the same education, or don't have the same income? We are all Americans, let's help uplift the country and not slowly bring it down to what it's not or shouldn't be. In c onclusion, C. Wright Mills' definition of "The Power Elite" defines the portrayed corporate executives as organization men who "must 'fit in'" with those already at the top. In other words, they have to be concerned with managing their impressions, as if the appearance of good results were more important than the actuality of them. It was a big deal back in the 1950's when C. Wright Mills wrote it.He was pointing out all the bad that the American Government was doing and how wars such as World War II, Cold War, and the Korean War started. They controlled the beautiful country of America, the scientific achievements, and sinking roots into America's educational institutions were being self governed. If he was alive I strongly believe he would say John McCain is a part of the power and also Lady Gaga.

What exactly is the topic of this essay? Is it supposed to contain your opinion or is it supposed to be in the third person? What point are you trying to get across? Which tense do you want to use for the entire essay? Are you writing about one book or several books? Are you comparing and contrasting these books? It has all the elements of being a great essay but you just need to do some fine tuning.
Christina, thanks so much! Great job.

Ramaine, I look forward to seeing a draft with the corrections suggested by Christina.

Also... let's add a thesis statement:
...people rush to the mall to get clothes that is worth $3,000 as per Chapter 9 in "Class Matters". (Right after this sentence, add a THESIS STATEMENT that tells the main idea of your whole essay.)

Then start paragraph 2:
Sak's 5th Ave has customers coming in there purchasing clothes worth over $500 and above, but on the...

Home / Book Reports / The Novel Family Matters