Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 10

Writing an essay on Christpoher Boone (trouble getting started)

Bee03 1 / 4  
I'm doing an informal essay for an ILC course im taking and im having a bit of trouble getting started. In the introductory paragraph i'm supposed to outline my interpretation of Christopher as a character in the novel. I cant seem to find an interpretation and three reasons to support it... :S
OP Bee03 1 / 4  
The book is called The curious incident of the dog in the night time by mark haddon
jen50192 4 / 37  
Your interpretation is basically your opinion of the character.

Christopher is an autistic child living his life and figuring things out with the absence of his mother and the guidance of his father.

When reading the novel, what did you think of the character?
What did you feel? Did you feel sympathetic for him?
What were his traits and are they a value to you?

Good luck! :)
OP Bee03 1 / 4  
How does this sound for and intro paragraph ...

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time is told through the eyes of a teenage boy named Christopher Boone. Christopher has a highly-functioning form of autism which allows him to understand complex mathematical problems, but also leaves him unable to comprehend many simple human emotions. His inability to understand metaphors, distinguish emotions, and his lack of imagination makes it possible to consider Christopher as functioning like a computer rather than functioning as a human being. Throughout the story, Christopher is faced with many challenges that cause his world to be upended by chaos - the death of a favorite dog, the discovery of a deception regarding his parents - that he conquers using the stable and never changing system of mathematics. I think that all of these factors suggest that Christopher does, in fact, function like a computer, but it is apparent early in the story that Christopher, regardless of anything else, is capable of independent thought which separates him from the programmed, dependent world of computers.
If you haven't done much literary analysis in your English classes, this can seem hard. Whatexplanations has your teacher given about examples of such interpretation? Sometimes teachers don't explain very well, but... if you read the book and really enjoy it, you can discuss your interpretation.

What is an interpretation? It is the way something seems to you. How do you interpret a character like James Bond? I could discuss james Bond by talking about what the writers wanted to symbolize in creating such a character, or I could interpret HIM as if he were a real person -- and I could say, for example, that he may be very depressed and the only satisfaction he knows comes from showing himself to be a hero.

As you interpret this character, decide if you want to interpret the character as something the author created, or if you want to interpret him as an actual person. Start from there.

After you have written a little about him google this to get good ideas:

character analysis curious incident of the dog in the night time mark haddon
OP Bee03 1 / 4  
i'm doing this by correspondence because i was sick for my first semester so there isn't really a teacher teaching you you just read from the book, but i posted my intro paragraph, what do you think about it.. ?
like--> like
...to consider Christopher as functioning like a computer rather than functioning like a human being.

I think that a All of these factors suggest that Christopher ...

I like it a lot! It is well-written and very clear. Now that you have given an overview of him, you can write a paragraph about his character flaws, and then another paragraph about the conflicts he faces. Keep going, you are better at this than you might think! A natural...

:-)
OP Bee03 1 / 4  
Thank you so much i will definitely take your advice :D
linuxuser - / 1  
Writing An Infromal Essay On Christpoher Boone (Having Trouble Getting Started)

I'm taking ENG3UB with ILC and I'm supposed to write an infromal essay on Christopher Boone but I'm not sure how to write an informal essay. Some advice would be greatly appreciated. The Novel is called "The Curious Case of Dog in the Night-time".
IMQ 2 / 3  
begin with your own feeling when you close the book.
talk abot some scenes that really move you or relate to other novels you have read before.

Home / Book Reports / Writing an essay on Christpoher Boone (trouble getting started)