Home / Dissertations   % width Posts: 8

A completed literature review with a thesis proposal?

Rich Monte 2 / 94 2  
Why is it necessary or required to submit a completed literature review with a proposal? I realize that this is expected to be included...typically Chapter 2 of the first three chapters that make up a proposal...but why? Wouldn't it make more sense to simply do a basic lit review at the proposal stage and then a thorough one once the final thesis is written?
EF_Team [Moderator] 41 / 222 15  
A complete literature review is indeed a critical element of a thesis proposal. The primary reason that you believe it does not seem necessary at this stage could be that you do not fully understand the actual purpose of a literature review in this context.

Remember, the literature review is not designed to be your primary research, but is intended to be a means to allow a reader to understand the problem area you have selected for research as well as the theoretical models, findings, methodologies, and measurement techniques that have been used in previous research related to yours.

Additionally, you may be able to add to the review, if necessary, following the completion of your primary and secondary research.

In other words, your review of the literature is supposed to show that you understand how your project fits into the grand scheme of things in your subject area. Any related research that has been conducted in the past will allow you to identify where there are gaps or unanswered questions that your efforts will seek to fill or answer. This obviously needs to be completed at the proposal stage.

To put it simply, through your proposal, you are expected to reveal your competency in the subject matter as well as your ability to explain how your research will benefit the target population.

EssayForum.com
OP Rich Monte 2 / 94 2  
Thank you, that helps a lot. I'll post more questions soon. I wanted to let you know my instructor appreciated my plan to do the literature review (and I followed your hints :).
Yes, the lit review is necessary in order to show that there is a need for your proposed work, and to show how it will fit with existing work...

Good luck!!!!!!!
Chandima - / 1  
("Performance evaluation") - help to do a literature review in the HR field

Can someone please help me to do an literature review in the field of HR, I really dont have a topic but have a little idea about doing "Performance evaluation and organization performance"

Is it too broad? can you suggest me/ advice me on this.

Thank you
Chandima
Emerald - / 1  
Hi Chandima,
In my humble opinion, a performance evaluation should include some details:
- Name n Department
- Task n Date
-Deadline
- Effectiveness
- Comment from dept. manager
Just some small suggestions :)
okorobiadimma14 6 / 82 50  
Literature review is an essential part of a proposal and research works in general. This is because there is really no alien field of study. Your research must have a link directly or indirectly with an existing knowledge, otherwise it would be very difficult to justify why your are delving into it in the first place. If there are no literature reviews, researchers would end up spending time and resources in a research which objectives have been achieved by other researchers elsewhere. Although it is a demanding adventure, a well drafted literature review will add credence to your proposal especially when it is meant to attract grants. It helps to ensure that you are not working on already published articles.
OP Rich Monte 2 / 94 2  
Right, the important point is about grants since I wanted to receive one (in my dreams at least ;)

Home / Dissertations / A completed literature review with a thesis proposal?