Deductive vs Inductive in a critique essay

chicconika 1 / -  
I am really confused... I have to write a critique essay, I am not sure if the article is using inductive or deductive reasoning. Basically it is about how a free market society brings about dislocation, which correlates with and causes addiction. The author gives a definition of free markets, tells how he thinks they correlate then gives 2 examples where we see dislocation and addiction.

Also what do I need to have in my intro paragraph for my essay? Should I have my thesis, a summary of the authors article and that's it? Or do I have to list everything I will be talking about.

Thanks
Start by writing a paragraph that consists of what you told us here. This is a great explanation. Elaborate, and tell some of the examples the author gave.

At the end of each paragraph you write about it, make an observation about the reasoning being used. For example:

The author claims that this is an example of the way a free market society indirectly leads to addiction.

And is it inductive or deductive? You need to really understand them... deductive means to deduct things, to rule them out until only one is left. Inductive means to make an inference... to look at a pattern and make a prediction. Which does this seem to be? Does he rule things out or look for patterns?
Maethirion 2 / 6  
Now dislocation and addiction... is this addiction to the market? Is this addiction to shopping, or more of drug addictions. What kind of dislocation does a free market bring about?

Does it address the decay of class structure resulting in uneven wealth distribution? Is the dislocation due to Corporations, share-holders, and cheap labor? Could you give a more in-depth summary of this article? Also, please provide the arguments if possible.

Home / Essays / Deductive vs Inductive in a critique essay