Help With Thesis: Pope's Essay on Man vs. Yeats' The Second Coming

mich1128 1 / -  
I'm writing a paper in each author's point of view (sort of like a televised expert debate) on war and how it affects society. Both author's will cite their famous poems as a way to justify their views. Yeats is easy because The Second Coming was written at the end of WWI, so I'm more concerned with how to make a valid points for Pope's argument. Based on some research and my own interpretations, the first two epistles focus on the great chain of being and pride as a bad thing in terms of how it affects the universe(?), and vices being turned into virtues (?) but I'm not exactly sure on how to tie these with war. If someone could point me in the right direction (such as research or maybe if my interpretations are wrong), I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Original prompt was to compare two poets from two different eras (18th century-20th century)
It seems to me like you're already headed in the right direction. To be quite honest, I am not familiar with these poems. However, based on your interpretations, I can clearly see the correlation for which you are searching. In regards to the "great chain of being and pride affecting the universe," -money and power being the driving force behind wars no matter what the propaganda states, the overwhelming greed and quest for domination by "invaders" can be traced directly to pride and ego. The desensitization that occurs in training and battle, combined with the sheer blindness of ego-driven agressors affects all of humanity; not just the people fighting. When recruiters mislead young people into fighting wars that they, at some point are another come to believe was unjust and/or they don't receive the support, respect and credentials they were promised, this pride is reversed and can manifest itself in many heartbreaking ways. And "vices into virtues" : Let's use the death penalty as a metaphor for hypocrysy; killing to punish for killing. If Joe Shmo had a tendency to be a ruthless and violent man on the streets and in his home, he can engage in combat with "the enemy" and his ability to thoughlessly hurt people will transform from jail and probation to a medal of honor...

Just a few suggestions. Hope this has been helpful :) Good luck.

Home / Essays / Help With Thesis: Pope's Essay on Man vs. Yeats' The Second Coming