Additional Factors Essay (PhD application - how to answer?)

gophd 1 / -  
PhD application with two statement of purpose questions:

1) Why do you want to study for and obtain a doctoral degree? Please discuss your career objectives and the goals you hope to achieve as a scholar. Be as complete as possible.

2) Comment on any factors that you think should be considered by the Admissions Committee.

I have answered the first question but don't really have anything substantive for the second. Is it a mistake to leave it blank? Any suggestions?
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Yes, I think it would be a mistake to leave it blank. I can understand how, by following the directive "be as complete as possible" you may have felt you said all there was to say! However, I think you're going to have to think beyond your scholastic and career objectives and add in other "factors" that might assist the Committee. Is there anything in your background that sets you apart? Challenges you've had to overcome? Accomplishments of a non-academic nature that nonetheless show you to be a person who would excel in their program? You may have to get more personal with this to find something worthy of inclusion.

I hope this helps give you some ideas!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Graduate / Additional Factors Essay (PhD application - how to answer?)