Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

Ph.D apply with focusing on control science

heathdark 1 / -  
Hi, I'm applying 2012 fall, please give some advise about my ps

During my studies (majoring in Control Science and Engineering) in XXX University, I discovered my interest in control science. Motivated by this interest, I have been working in Professor Wang's research group since October, 2010. With the desire to continue my research in the future and considering the benefits and effectiveness that studying Ph.D could offer to my research work, I am therefore looking at Ph.D program.

In my research experience, I mainly involved into the following research works:
- Under the instruction of Professor Wang, I conducted a research on stability analysis of neural networks. Since this is my first research, I spent two and a half months on self-studying basic nonlinear analysis techniques and reading former works. By using the method learned, I finished a paper studying the stability problem of Cohen-Grossberg neural networks. Not only has my study and research experience in this period reinforced my research ability, but it also gave me a deep insight into scientific research.

- Together with Professor Wang, I finished a part of a paper studying the synchronization problem of switched complex networks. In the process of writing this paper, Professor Wang and I spent a lot of time on discussing what system model should we use or which method is better to derive the main theorem. By applying the method we discussed together, I finished the simulation and a part of the proof of the theorem. From this research experience, I appreciate the significants of cooperation in research.

- Under the instruction of Professor Wang, I wrote a paper first investigating the influence of communication constraints on the synchronization of neural networks. Considering the synapses between neural cells are not ideal, I decided to study the influence of the communication constraints although no one had raised this problem in neural network area before. To deal with this problem, I referenced the method in networked control area, and broaden the original method into nonlinear area. The positive simulation result shows the efficiency of my method.

- As a leader of a research group, I wrote and received a small funding to support my research project in the next year. To achieve the research goal successfully, I made a detailed research plan scheduling the work to every month and assigned each member a proper job. By working with other group members, I learned how to lead a research group, and more important, the importance of working as a group.

Thanks for these research experiences, my personal abilities, including self-study ability, cooperativeness, innovativeness, and leadership are greatly improved. Also, I want to thank my adviser for all the helps and instructions she gave to me.

Generally speaking, the research equipment support and the graduate education in the United States in the research field I am interested appears to be better than those in China, and therefore studying in the United States will provide me more opportunities to pursue my research goal. Furthermore, living in another country for a while is a unique experience and a good opportunity to get in touch with different culture. In my opinion, it is necessary for a researcher to experience diverse culture and to use a different research style since it may lead to some new research ideas. With all these reasons, I think pursuing graduate study in the United States is a ideal way to pursue my research goal.

After searching a lot of universities, I have a good impression on the research environment of the department of system engineer in Boston University for its leading research work on control and robotic area. Therefore, I decide to apply the Ph.D program in System Engineering provided by Boston University. Since the research focus of CODES Laboratory is control science and robotics, which matches my own research interest, I would like to join in CODES Laboratory, and choose Professor Cassandras as my adviser. I know that my GPA may not be as higher as other applicants, but I dramatically improved my academic grades in the junior year, and got progress scholarship continuously for two years because of my great progress. This illustrates that I have the ability and intelligence to pursue higher education in the future, and all I need is a chance to prove myself. I would be grateful if you offer me an opportunity to pursue my graduate study at Boston University, and I will try my best to prove myself.

Home / Graduate / Ph.D apply with focusing on control science