I'm applying for an Occupational Therapy Assistant Program and need advice on my essay so far.

JVelez 1 / -  
In 2010 I was laid off after nine and a half years of working as a Certified Pharmacy Technician at a Long Term Care facility. I found it difficult to find employment as a Pharmacy Technician and I was apprehensive about what was next. Although things were tough I knew I had to pull myself together and push forward. I needed to financially provide for my family so I immediately enrolled in the Certified Nursing Assistant program at Educational Training of Wethersfield and worked hard towards my certificate. Working in the Healthcare field has allowed me exposure to the various professions in the Allied Health field which motivated me to further my education. I knew I wanted to go back to college and further my career in the healthcare field but I wasn't sure for what. I have always had a desire to help others, and I was preparing to apply for, but I decided to wait, partly because I had a feeling that I needed to make sure that the career I was choosing, truly reflected on who I am as a person and my professional aspirations.

While talking with my friend Jennifer, who is an Occupational Therapist about my concerns she suggested I look into Occupational Therapy. I asked her questions about what exactly was an Occupational Therapist as well as what a typical day for her was like and it immediately sparked my interest. As I began to search more in depth, the role of an Occupational Therapist I discovered that it was where I want to go- by first obtaining a degree as an Occupational Assistant and eventually moving toward my goal; a Master's in Occupational Therapy.

What intrigues me most about Occupational Therapy is the multitude of opportunities within the discipline. Occupational Therapy focuses on every aspect of one's rehabilitation- so not only are the individual's physical needs being addressed but also his or her emotional and psychological well being.

Becoming an Occupational Therapy Assistant would give me the opportunity to get involved in the community and provide assistance to those trying to overcome a mental or physical obstacle in their life; enabling those with injuries or disabilities to be able to perform their everyday activities more readily and help them to regain their independence.

Developing creative everyday activities that allow individuals to regain most of their independence, would allow me the chance to interact with people of all ages; to help them find purpose in their lives and create environments for them to actively participate in society.

Our society is fast paced and unwilling to help those that don't fit into our norms and to be able to aid someone to function on their own, or provide them with the support they require to do so, would be an exciting challenge for me.
Crystal812 23 / 55 11  
Hi, Jessica,

Good passage. Your structure is clear, and your language really impresses me. I know the kind of feeling, like a belief---you want to insist on something. I hope you succeed in the future.

Here, do allow me to give some suggestions:

Since you are applying for a program, I may want to see your strengths and profession knowledge. If I am a interviewer, not only will I want to know your strong desire and your objectives, but I also want to know why I should accept you.

I'm sure there will be some competitors in this application, I want you to tell me what your distinctiveness is. You can imagine that, people in this interview, they can interact with people, they want to help the disabled. If not so, why do they apply for this project? So only desire is not enough, show them what you are good at.

If this essay plays a crucial role in your application, I suggest that you should work hard and perfect it. Again, I really respect people who have beliefs and hope that your dream will come true.

Wish you success!

Home / Graduate / I'm applying for an Occupational Therapy Assistant Program and need advice on my essay so far.