Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

'a bent towards Ecology and Environment' - SOP for SUNY-ESF

elinasarkar 1 / -  
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE

I am applying to the PhD program in SUNY-ESF. After completing my Master of Science in Environment Management and Bachelor of Science in Zoology, I have come to realize that research is the field where I would love to be in and work for the environment wholeheartedly. SUNY-ESF is the right place for an environment buff like me and I am glad to find that my research interests jibe with those of the scientists here. So, doing MS-PhD here would be a worthy task and I am confident that this would truly make me an adept researcher and also help me bring in development.

It was in my graduation when I started developing a bent towards Ecology and Environment. Under the guidance of superb faculty in the Zoology department of our college I learnt not only the theories of ecology and environment but at the same time their practicalities. I liked the field visits to study pond ecosystem, turbidity and pollution in water bodies, animal habits, migratory birds and their habitats etc immensely. I chose to go for a master degree in the field of Environment Management.

I went on accumulating qualms and quests regarding the subject. Many have been solved by my constant studies on this but there are many questions which are still unsolved. My thirst for more and more knowledge on ecology and environment led me to take this up as a major in my master degree here in my country. Yet I have this feeling that more and more oppugns have come up in my mind regarding some new fields- Wetlands and GIS and of course the whole of ecology still follows. Hence, I have finally come up with the firmness of going for a PhD on the subject and if required would like to carry on my research over this till my thirst of knowing the ecosystem is quenched.

Right from my school days I had Biology as my favorite subject because of which I took up Zoology as my stream for undergraduate and gradually I realized my liking for Ecology and Environment. My specialization in Environment Management exposed me to many other spheres of the environment and their related problems. But again Ecology continued to be my favorite but with an addition of GIS and Wetlands being completely new to me.

Wetlands, their ecology, distribution etc fascinated me more and more when I learnt that they can be studied with the coupling of GIS too. I knew my primary interests would require me to know the basics of environmental studies, specifically the analytical chemistry regarding water and soil of Wetlands. The study on deterioration of wetlands would involve analysis of water and soil, also communication with nearby villagers and may be towns and cities, to make them aware of the values and unique characteristics of Wetlands, for instance they act as natural drainage system for the nearby areas, nutrient cycling going on in the wetlands soil and water, unique characteristics of plants and animals to survive in low oxygen surrounding etc.

It was my summer training project which trained me to communicate with villagers in a socio-economic survey and also a simultaneous work of water analysis of the water samples of the same villages. During my six months dissertation I decided to take up a soil related project so that I could learn the analytical part of soil which was completely new to me. It was solely due to my interest which prompted me to do this type of project.

Thus, I feel I can confidently carry on my work in SUNY-ESF with the basic as well as some advanced knowledge that I have been able to gain during these years of my study.

When I started hunting for universities and talked to my professors I learnt that SUNY-ESF is my slot because here research goes on extremely well, the professors are very experienced and more importantly so many of them work on Wetlands.

I found Dr. Richard C. Smardon and Dr. Phillip G. Vidon's works and publications and research interests truly intriguing. I would be extremely glad to work with any of the two professors. My interests in Wetlands Conservation and Management along with the biogeochemistry of wetlands' soil and water are the exact interests of both of the professors.

I plan to work effectively here in SUNY-ESF and carefully make good use of the opportunities of research with such experienced and good scientists so that my PhD has a worth and also my time that I would devote here for the study.

I am keenly interested in working in the wetlands of the world specifically of the tropical countries later in my life. Hence, I would like to do my research and learning at SUNY-ESF fruitfully so that my study holds esteem.

I would require a full financial assistantship to fund my graduate studies. It would be great if I am granted a research assistantship and would really love to work solely in the field of research. I would also be glad enough if I get a teaching assistantship since I have always wanted to teach at a higher level and I am sure I would be able to carry out my duties very well and enthusiastically.

Once I get the opportunity to work at SUNY-ESF I can assure you my hard work. I am aware of the toil and dedication that SUNY-ESF demands from its students. My consistent nature is evident from my previous graduate studies in my own country. I would put all my efforts to work here that much energetically so that I am not only consistent but also raise my worth as a good researcher and contribute in the development.

I would eagerly wait for a positive response from SUNY-ESF and a wonderful nod allowing me to work with them.

Home / Graduate / 'a bent towards Ecology and Environment' - SOP for SUNY-ESF