Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

Biomedical Engineering and Science - Doctoral program

sm1025 1 / -  
I have written a essay for my admission in a Doctoral program in US. Please assess it..

I have always been fascinated in Science since my secondary school days and this fascination has led to my academic pursuits in this field. The inspiration to pursue this field came from my father, a Civil Engineer, who I will always be indebted to.

I successfully completed by secondary school from X School, which is the top ranked public school in my area. I secured an 85% marks in my All India Secondary School Examination, with over 97% marks in Mathematics and Science. This helped me in joining the science stream in the same school. The strong desire for success coupled with self-confidence and hard work helped me achieve an overall score of 80% score, with A1 grade in Mathematics and Physics in my All India Senior Secondary School Examination. This would not have been possible without the support of my parents and teachers. These strong foundations in Mathematics and Physics together with my interest in the field of biology lead me to a Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Instrumentation at Y (University).

My experience at Y (University) was both challenging and rewarding. My undergraduate course included Fundamentals of Electronics and Electrical engineering in my first and second year, while the last two years focused primarily on Biomedical and Instrumentation Engineering. My final year project was "To develop in shoe pressure measurement system for use in a clinical environment." The objective of the project was to develop a shoe to be worn by diabetic patients. A sensing circuit triggers an alarm when the force in these regions exceed certain threshold values, at that point the patient can remove the shoe to prevent the damage to the foot. I remain deeply indebted to Professor A, who guided me with this project and also encouraged me into independent thinking. This sowed the seeds of desire for research in the field of Medical Instrumentation.

During my time at the college, I was involved in several extra-curricular activities. I was actively involved with the functioning of Biomedical Instrumentation society called Bio-Rhythm. During my third year, I was elected as the President of the society. During this time, with the help of other members we were able to organize a one day seminar on "Recent trends in biomedical and instrumentation". The event was a major success and drew many applauds from various academics in the department.

My decision to pursue postgraduate studies in the field of Biomedical Engineering was the natural culmination of my successful undergraduate study and my desire to broaden my horizon and gain valuable exposure in the field of Biomedical engineering. This desire has influenced me joining Z. The university is dedicated to a broad curriculum and interdisciplinary research. During my period of study here, I have taken courses like Biomedical Signal Processing & Analyzing, Physiological Measurement, Introduction of Medical Imaging, Medical Equipment & Technology Services Management, and Medical Device Design Principles as compulsory modules. Additionally, I selected Nano-magnetics in Nano-medicine, Biomechanics, Bioreactors and Growth Environment, Biomaterials as my elective modules and I also attended lectures for the course Biosensors. But the most unique and challenging experience was my final year Masters project.

For my final year project, I undertook a research project on "Design Optimization of Perfusion Bioreactors for Tissue Engineering Applications" under the supervision of Dr. B. The main goal of this project was to employ mathematical modeling using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) - OpenFOAM, to optimize the design of perfusion bioreactor. This work has been accepted for publication in Biotechnology & Bioengineering.

After completing my Master's program, I joined the research team at XYZ. My research involves the study of microwave tomography technique as a novel biomedical imaging modality for clinical application. The aim of this study is to assess the ----------.

I am also involved in the study of ------. The objective of this study ------. During this time I was able to gain some valuable experience in using MATLAB software and using equipments like Network Analyzer, Impedance Analyzer, and Spectrophotometer. This research experience has helped to develop my analytical and research skills which would be valuable in my PhD studies.

The area of biomedical engineering that is most intriguing to me is biomedical instrumentation and signal processing. Developing new equipment to help the physicians to diagnose and/or treat a condition in patient is both exciting and satisfying challenge. The most important question in front of a biomedical engineer is 'how you identify a problem/condition in a patient effectively and safely?'. This is one question I hope to spend my doctoral studies answering. And with every answer comes more questions to improve it even further. Upon successful completion of my PhD, I aim to be a part of a research team, where I could continue my research and help inspire other enthusiastic minds.

The Graduate School of Engineering of ABC University is an internationally recognized institution and is one of the world's leading graduate engineering schools. ABC University provides me with the opportunity, resources and most importantly the guidance to progress. These reason along with the atmosphere and safety makes Northeastern my first choice.

I believe I have the necessary qualities to become a good researcher. I am creative, self-motivated and have the ability and interest to pursue challenging, interdisciplinary problems in a fast-paced research environment. I possess a strong academic background, sense of teamwork, integrity and ability to put in sustained quality effort consistently. It is my desire to have a mutually beneficial association with your University and to contribute my best to the field of biomedical engineering. I am aware that ABC University has high standards for admitting students to its PhD program, but I believe that my academic credentials together with my research interests and potential would help me gain this PhD position at ABC University. I hope that on reviewing my application, the University would be convinced of the same.

Home / Graduate / Biomedical Engineering and Science - Doctoral program