Cancer research, DNA - PhD essay... writing goals is the toughest part

an2 1 / 1  
During, career counseling at my school, the success stories of GM foods and cloning made me marvel at the ability of man to manipulate person's genetic make-up. Urge to know more about these technologies and to be a part of it; led me to choose biotechnology as my subject. The Bachelor's degree offered by XXX was best suited for me. Here I learnt about the well-regulated metabolic processes, replication, repair mechanisms, and the role that different enzymes play to bring about these reactions in a unique manner, was endlessly fascinating to me. The course required me to spend 3-4 hours in the laboratory each day, which developed in me, a scientific temperament. I realized that a sound knowledge of biochemistry was essential to know the processes in the cell better. This took me to the next logical step towards a Masters degree in Biochemistry from (Pune University). One of the oldest colleges in the country and well reputed for its academic excellence. The admission to the programme was extremely competitive; so was securing a place in the top six throughout the course amongst 22 meritorious students.

My research project on "EFFICIENCY AND THERMAL STABILITY OF ENZYMES IN ORGANIC SOLVENTS" with Prof.XXX gave a new dimension to my Knowledge. I discovered the fact that enzymes which are considered to be fragile, showed 20 to 75.3 percent increase in there catalytic activity and thermal stability in presence of various organic solvent. For example, Amylase showed 75% increase in catalytic activity in the presence of acetonitrile. The increase in the reaction rate was related to enhanced substrate specificity. It was postulated that the increase in the hydrophobic environment around the active site could result in enhanced acid catalysis mediated by the Glu230 residue thereby enhancing the catalytic activity of the enzyme. One of the most challenging tasks in the project was designing the microenvironment for enzymes keeping in mind the hydrophobicity of the amino acids exposed and the chemical properties and dielectric constants of organic solvents. Although, due to limited time and laboratory facilities, the structure analysis of these samples could not be performed; the results obtained were so well supported with experimental data and logical explanation that I scored highest, not only in the college but also in the entire university. My success in the research project gave me confidence to pursue my interest further.

Earlier, in the final year at the undergraduate level I worked on a curricular project 'Field Study of Gene and Genotype Frequency in Autosomal and Sex-Linked Traits in Human'. The traits studied were eye colour, hair pattern, ability to roll tongue, hypertrichosis, presence of widow's peak, dimpled cheeks. This project aimed at verifying/ rejecting the hypothesis that these human traits follow Mendelian laws of inheritance. During the project, I surveyed 50 unrelated people from different places and noted their phenotypic traits. Analysis of the entire data showed that the inheritance followed Mendelian laws.

My internship at XXX under Dr XXX (Director of Research), introduced me to cancer research. I worked as a Junior Molecular Biologist in the study based on differential analysis of genes in Hepatocellular Carcinoma from patients with HBV infection. The project aims to analyze p53 gene, for mutation, particularly at codon 249, HBV core gene, and expression of HBV (X) protein in these patients. I gained firsthand experience on many important molecular biological techniques, Moreover; it gave me a goal to aim for. Until now the cancer death statistics, for me, was just a numerical data; But the death of three study patients within 45 days of my internship, opened my eyes to the fatality of the disease and how important it is to work towards eradicating it.

In the summer break of 2009, I underwent 1 month training at XXX., New Delhi (Manufacturers of homeo medicines and herbal cosmetics). I worked in the syrup section, ointment/cream section, cosmetics, mother tincture and dilutions. From the exposure to the commercial set up I learnt how research ultimately benefits human beings.

GOALS
My odyssey of learning has given strong foundation to my analytical skills. I understand that in order to pursue my passion to contribute towards cancer research, it is imperative to have sound knowledge about molecular processes in the cell. It is now a well-established fact that enzymes tend to become more rigid, and the enantioselectivity of the enzymes can be modified in the presence of organic solvents. Thus, I wish to explore the possibility of targeting hydrophilic enzymes such as RAD17. RAD17 plays a crucial role in arresting cell division, following DNA damage.
rajeshaaidu 2 / 31  
Dear Antony,
Your name doesn't look like an Indian given name. From which country you are? Anyway, try making these changes, and check your full essay for punctuation. I am giving you few example below-

Comma splice and run-on- But the death of three study patients within 45 days of my internship, opened my eyes to the fatality of the disease and how important it is to work towards eradicating it.

numerical data; But but the (I think in one more place after comma you have done capitalization, please rectify that also).

I worked in the syrup section, ointment/cream section, cosmetics, mother tincture and dilutions. It's better instead of this sentence describe the nature of the job that you have done there.

From the exposure to the commercial set up I learnt how research ultimately benefits human beings.
While working there I realized how reaserech ultimately benefits human beings.
I clearly understand that in order to pursue my passion to contribute towards cancer research, it is imperative to have sound knowledge about molecular processes in the cell. the molecular processes of the cellls.

Thus, I wish to explore the possibility of targeting hydrophilic enzymes such as RAD17. RAD17 , which plays a crucial role in arresting cell division, following DNA damage.

Overall content of the essay is good, but you need to work on the punctuation and consistency of the sentences.

Thanks and Best of luck!!!
OP an2 1 / 1  
Thanks a lot:) rajesh,
That was really helpful. I will make the required changes.
and yes, my name is christian name, quite common in south india. I was brought up in new delhi, so i am quite used to the reaction.:)

Home / Graduate / Cancer research, DNA - PhD essay... writing goals is the toughest part