Changing Direction/ Bilinguism -PS for Speech and Language Path/ Experience&Goals

futureslp 1 / 1 1  
Below is a personal statement required for an application to a graduate program in speech and language pathology. In the statement we are asked to discuss the development of interest in SLP, relevant experience and professional goals.

Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
______________________________________________________________________ ________________________
Being able to communicate is such an essential function that it is hard to imagine living without it. I came to the United States at the age of 14 with a very limited English and suddenly found myself on the other side of the communication breakdown. An extrovert by nature, I became socially anxious and couldn't rely on my natural confidence. Reading out loud and giving presentations in school gave me nightmares. Others were impatient with me when I struggled to find the right words or pronounce them correctly. Hard work, listening to the radio and evening news improved my language skills. However, I wouldn't be able to regain the confidence without the help of my amazing ESL teacher.

A desire to become a Speech and Language Pathologist did not come to me right away. Upon graduation from High School, I took my parents advice and received a degree in Computer Science. After several years working in----- for companies like----and the -----, I realized that something was missing. Despite achieving success as a manager, my job left me without a sense of purpose.

A thought about a career in communicative disorders came to me when I got a chance to observe a speech therapist working with a child in my son's preschool. Every day she came to class with a suitcase full of toys and seemingly did nothing more than play games. Astoundingly, over the course of the year the child went from a complete silence, to his first word, to a skit performed in front of the class. She worked on child's specific need, as well as his confidence and formed a network of support by working with parents, teachers and even friends. Most significantly to me, she showed genuine concern and relished in her client's successes. In that way, she reminded me of my ESL teacher. This acquaintance gave me a notion to change direction and pursue a different career and I begun my inquiry into the field of speech therapy.

In my search, I have interviewed several professionals and begun shadowing a speech therapist in my son's elementary school. What was supposed to be a very short interaction turned into a year-long relationship. During this time, I was able to interact directly with the type of clients I might treat in the future: kids with voice disorders, articulation problems, processing difficulties just to name a few. Through various play activities, I was able to build rapport with the children and contribute to their treatment. In turn, my little friends taught me to be more attentive, understanding and most importantly be a good listener. This experience sealed my desire to become a speech pathologist.

Career change can be challenging and at the same time extremely rewarding. Returning to school has been an exhilarating experience. This time around, I found myself to be extremely passionate and determined student, which helped me to excel in my courses. I look forward to continuing my studies and attaining a Master's Degree in Speech and Language Pathology. During Language Development class, we learned about importance of bilingualism. My professor suggested that I take advantage of my fluency in the Russian Language and become a bilingual therapist. With her advice, I hope to become a bilingual Speech and Language Pathologist and serve a wide range of clients. Perchance in the future, with acquired expertise I could utilize my background in computer science as well and work on the development electronic systems aimed at maximizing speech therapy outcomes.

When reviewing my application, I hope you can recognize a serious and dedicated student, a responsible individual eager to learn and work hard to meet the goal of becoming a Speech and Language Pathologist.
kenonye 1 / 2  
I like this.
Reading it i can feel how passionate you are about the Programme. The flow of the write-up is continuous and very impressive.

I wish you all the best.

Home / Graduate / Changing Direction/ Bilinguism -PS for Speech and Language Path/ Experience&Goals