Chinese Bridge and research - graduate program personal statement

AliciaChow95 1 / -  
The first time I saw the "Chinese Bridge "competition on television, I thought it was amazing. How could these people speak Chinese so well!Since China is the most popular country in the world, I realized that many people are displaying unprecedented interest and enthusiasm in Chinese language and culture and I chose teaching Chinese as my future career.

Over the past three years at university, I have learned a great deal about linguistics through classes such as Modern Chinese Language, Introduction to Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition.I have become better acquainted with the moral backdrop of Chinese linguistics and language education through these studies.To me, learning a language is not just getting to know how to speak it, but you also learn about the country, its people, and its culture. It does not just simply help people communicate. It is the very means to bring people all over the world closer together no matter what skin color, what race, or what religion.And the language teachers do not just teach a language but also help break down boundaries between human beings around the world. Thus, I think teaching a language is a great honor.

In terms of academic achievements and personal reflection, I come to be confident of this career path. My GPA is XX and for 3 years I have been granted scholarships. I have no doubt that I will be capable of maintaining good academic records if I am granted a fellowship to join the master program.Outside the classroom, I have also expanded my basic knowledge of Literature and Psychology.I read plenty of books of ancient Chinese culture and wrote a thesis about a famous ancient poetry.("The Analysis of XX") In the process of getting the national psychology consultant certification, I acquired useful knowledge related to language acquisition and education.I intend to integrate such knowledge throughout my career path in an effort to enlighten others.

As for the research practice, it brings me a lot of knowledge and skills which I can't acquire in the classroom.I host a university students' innovative and practical project this year, and try to analysis overseas students' classroom discourse with my classmates.We filmed their classroom performance and transcribed videos to text.One problem we have encountered in experiments is what kind of method we should use to analyze data.Fortunately I heard professor XX' s lecture at the XX Forum.He focused on the pragmatic factors in language use, and promoted to cultivate students' pragmatic competence in real context.Inspired by this,We analyzed the accuracy, fluency and complexity of the discourse by using CSL theory and the structure of conversation by using the method of conversational structure analysis.We got some results that can reflect the characteristics of intermediate Chinese learners and now we are searching for suitable ways to help develop their speaking performance.Through this project,I have learned analyze methods of language acquisition and language use, such as corpus collecting,processing and analysis.This has raised my ability to find and analyze problems.Meanwhile,the application and the planning of the entire project has improved my organization and communication skills.

While project experience demonstrate my ability in language analysis,educational practice allows me to acquire practical experience of teaching Chinese.This semester I conducted an internship at the XX University,and I faced more challenges.I found that students cannot remember the contents of the previous lesson and cannot say correct words and sentences in dialogue practice.I adjusted the way, reduced the number of words and sentences they need to learn, and increased the repetition rate.I also encouraged them to create new condition to practice words and sentence patterns.After adjusting the method, the students' interest and correct rate were increased.This experience let me realize the importance of language knowledge in teaching.As Professor XX said, the view of language teachers identity determines what kind of teaching methods.

As a graduate from Chinese department, I have a clear vision of the present state and the promising future of Chinese teaching.The enthusiasm and quantity of Chinese are not merited by quality, and the lack of scientific guideline and the need of profound theory of linguistics as its support may be the answers.we are in want of not only effective teaching methodology, but also the principles of second language acquisition.For that reason,I apply to your school for master of Chinese linguistics and Language Acquisition.The program attracted me with its first class teachers, scientific curricula,which allows me acquire the systematic Chinese language structure and language acquisition training.In addition, theXX - XX University Joint Center for Language, Mind and Brain provides students an international platform for advancing knowledge in the study of language, mind and brain.Besides,Hong Kong is a vibrant world city where global cultures meet, mix, and mesh,this environment is more conducive to the study of language.

Undoubtedly the Chinese University of Hong Kong leads the theoretical research and practice of CLLA, I plan to learn first the theory on the Chinese studying process of students of other languages and at the same time, language analysis methodology, i.e. how to analyze the corpus data collected in the natural environment. Moreover, I will get further acquainted with the language and culture, communicate with the locals and enhance my own comprehensive ability of the English and Cantonese. I believe outstanding research achievements will be obtained through my careful observation, mindful reflection plus my creativity and inspiration.

After graduate education, I intend to go in for Chinese teaching in an international school first, applying theoretical knowledge to teaching practice. Then I might study for a Ph.D in second language acquisition and work in a language research institute,where I will be actively engaged in searching for the Chinese studying method that best suits the foreign people to turn out more students with skillful mastery of Chinese.
doutiantian 3 / 12 8  
Hi, AliciaChow95,your essay is excellent ! Here are some adivices I want to give you.

To me, learning a language is not just (only)getting to know how to speak it, but you also learn about the (its)country, its people, and its culture.

And ( What's more) the language teachers do not just teach ...
Fortunately(,) I heard professor XX' s lecture at the XX Forum.

He focused on the pragmatic factors in language use, and promoted to cultivate students' pragmatic competence in real context.Inspired by this,We(we)alyzed the accuracy, fluency and ...

The enthusiasm and quantity of Chinese are not merited by quality, and ( but)lack of sientific guideline and ...

Home / Graduate / Chinese Bridge and research - graduate program personal statement