'drug-drug interactions' + 'personal issues' - extenuating circumstances

mira9876 1 / -  
Please help. Im not sure which information to keep, take out, or leave as is. There was an optional essay that i felt i should include as well. I'm open to making any changes, big or small, to improve my essay. Thank you!

- Statement of Purpose: REQUIRED

When I was 11 years old my uncle died from drug-drug interactions. I didn't understand how medication could kill someone. I kept asking myself how is it possible that taking a few different things that were supposed to make him feel better had killed him. I was intrigued by what the pills and suspensions did inside his body after he took them by mouth. This was the moment in my life when my curiosity transpired into my passion for the world of drugs.

After high school, my passion to learn about medications, led me to the Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy at Rutgers University. I was fascinated by how each drug goes through ADME - absorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion. Sitting through classes where I was learning more with each day about drugs and the human body was exactly what I wanted. I was able to go on and even complete my first rotation at Sam's Club Pharmacy. I also worked for Rite Aid Pharmacy for about 4 years where I was able to apply my knowledge from school. I improved my communication skills and my ability to multi-task. Unfortunately, more than half way into the program, I was unable to successfully complete the program due to extenuating circumstances (see Topic C Essay). Having lost the opportunity to complete pharmacy school is a bittersweet memory for me. I never finished what I started. On the other hand, I have a different and more positive outlook on things due the experiences I had after transferring out. I started to seek help in dealing with stressful situations and staying focused. I had to learn to separate my personal life and my life as a student. I started to do things differently such as yoga and keeping a more up to date planner. I wouldn't feel this strongly about my studies if I hadn't gone through all that I did. I transferred to the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public policy where I majored in public health. I found this to be the best suitable program for me at that time. After transferring and sitting in new classrooms and learning different things, I knew I still wanted to pursue the pharmacy field. I looked at this as an opportunity to as way for me to be a more experienced pharmacist. I found myself relating all that I learned to the world of pharmacy.

Motivation and passion are not the only aspects that make me a qualified candidate for the University of Texas Austin; throughout my undergraduate career I have engaged in various work experiences with every opportunity I had. I successfully completed three internships during my undergraduate studies at Rutgers University. The first internship was during the summer of 2010 at New Jersey Hospital Association where I worked under Dr. Firoozeh Vali. At NJHA, I worked with data from a demonstration project on emergency room diversion funded by the Center for Medicaid and Medicare Service. In September of 2010, I started a public health related internship at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey where I worked with Dr. Elliot Coups. At CINJ, I applied more of my literature and research skills. I completed a poster and presentation titled "Epidemiology of Melanoma Among U.S. Hispanics." Next I began an internship at the Environmental and Health Sciences Institute where I worked with Dr. Lauren Aleksunes and Dr. Xia Wen in the Pharmacology and Toxicology Department. At EOHSI, I performed research in the laboratory using the western-blot technique. I completed a poster titled, "Evaluation of Transporter Protein Expression in Kidneys of Wild-Type and Mrp2-Null Mice" and presented my research findings. All of my experiences have aided in the improvement of my analytical and leadership skills.

I believe in service and the power of helping people in need. I took up the leadership role of a Logistics Coordinator of the Hunger and Homelessness Campaign in New Jersey Public Interest Research Group. Under my leadership, we held numerous can drives providing gratuitous amounts of food to local soup kitchens. My work with NJPIRG allowed me to develop essential skills needed to become a community leader. Also, I was a part an educational program known as Upward Bound. Over a period of several months, I was a mentor for a student in high school, providing advice on everything from homework to personal issues. Additionally, I took on extra projects while being part of different organizations. For example, as a member of the Student National Pharmaceutical Association, I was the coordinator for the HIV/AIDS Awareness Project in 2009 for the Rutgers Day event. There was a table set up with activities, prizes and information on the topic of HIV/AIDS. We had hundreds of visitors which included students, faculty, parents, and the associated press. I see my studies as a path to helping others, which is why I take out time to volunteer for organizations and events that are in need of assistance.

University of Texas Austin appeals to me because of its strong focus on drug therapy management. I am especially interested in working with Dr. Christine Duvauchelle because of her research focus on neural mechanisms. The work experience working in a laboratory research facility allowed me to identify more reasons as to why I want to gain a pharmacy degree, such as my goal to optimize patient care. Dr. Duvauchelle's research results provide insight on treatment options for patients who have fluctuating drug use experiences. I believe individualized treatment options are an essential component in optimizing patient care. I am also interested in working with Dr. Christopher Frei because of his work concentrated on pneumonia and HIV. While acquiring my bachelor of science in public health, I was able to gain a great deal of knowledge in the field of epidemiology. Dr. Frei's pharmacoepidemiolgy approach will allow me to apply the knowledge I gained in my undergraduate studies. With such highly established faculty, cutting-edge technologies and comprehensive academic and health care facilities, obtaining my Pharm. D. from UT Austin would prepare me to enter the world of drugs as a very knowledgeable pharmacist.

I've thought many times whether this information will hurt my chances of ever being given a second chance in the field of pharmacy. I believe in honesty so I've shared my personal life and I believe in second chances. I have seen what lack of patient education and interaction can possibly lead to therefore I have to finish what I started. I want to further my studies by obtaining a Doctorate of Pharmacy so I can play a role in helping patients optimize their drug therapy. I have become fearless of any possible difficulties that may come along during my pursuit of a pharmacy degree. My diverse background will add to the versatile student and faculty population at UT Austin. I know the hard work and dedication I will have to put in. Having had experience working in a pharmacy setting, I know what it's like to work there. I know all about the sacrifices that have to be made. I know what it's like to be a pharmacy student. Knowing all this, I want to go back. I want University of Texas to be my second chance.

- Topic C: optional

Just like any other night, I was going back to my apartment after leaving my Organic Chemistry class. As I got off the bus, I looked both ways and crossed the street when I was hit by a car. There was another student driving who was in the wrong lane and had hit me. I was taken to the hospital where many tests were done. I obtained a minor concussion, a cut below my left eyebrow requiring stiches, several blood vessels in my eyes had popped, and my knees were swollen and bruised very badly. After the accident, doing something as simple as crossing the street made me nervous. I was constantly worrying whether my knees will feel normal again. My face was swollen and bruised and I worried about how long it would take for me to look normal again. Also during this time I was being harassed by someone. He did cruel things such as post stolen pictures of me on various websites and make threatening phone calls. After about a year, I eventually had to reach out to the police and take legal action. Due to these unfortunate events, I was unable to concentrate on my studies. I felt like someone had just pushed me off the tracks to completing my studies. I was advised to take a year off and properly deal with the situations mentally and emotionally. Just like many people in such situations I thought I was doing okay and wanted to continue schooling. I, now, realize it is equally as important to let your body heal as it is to give time and attention to emotional healing.

I was 22 years old when I felt a lump in my breast. I decided to go in for a check-up where I was asked the dreaded question "is there any history of breast cancer in your family?" My maternal grandmother's breast cancer had just relapsed. My mother was overseas by her bed side. Here I was sitting in a doctor's office all alone wondering what was going to happen. In the midst of exams and class assignments, I made appointments to see doctors. After a few days, it was confirmed that there was a growing tumor inside. Due to the fact it was getting larger, it was best to have it removed. I went home, made an appointment for my surgery and tried to study for my finals. I wouldn't even know if it was benign until they performed a biopsy during the surgery. My mother returned after my finals to be with me. A few days after my mother's return, my grandmother passed away. A few days after that, I went to the hospital for my surgery. Two days after my surgery, I was given the great news that it was benign. While I was going through all this I thought I could handle it. I think it was immature for me to think that. I. As someone who has matured in many ways, I now realize how important it was for me to acknowledge the fact that I wasn't okay. My negative experiences have taught me things I couldn't learn from books. I think it takes bad experiences like these to appreciate life and everything we have.

My mind was consumed by so many personal issues that I wasn't able to focus on my studies. I have learned a great deal from everything negative that was thrown at me. I've learned not to be paranoid but just be more careful. I've learned to trust others again while still protecting myself. I've learned to take better care of myself thus allowing me to take better care of others in need. For a long time, whenever I looked in the mirror and noticed the scar by my eye, I wondered what my life would have been like if I didn't get into that accident. That accident, harassment issue, and my health scare could have been so much worse that I wouldn't be writing this essay today. Some of the worst things that happened to me have made me a better person.
I started to do things differently, such as yoga and keeping a more up to date planner.

I looked at this as an opportunity to as way for me toto become a more experienced pharmacist.

Next, I began an internship at the Environmental and Health Sciences Institute where I...

I see my studies as a path to helping others, which is why I take out time to volunteer for organizations and events that are in need of assistance.

I have seen what lack of patient education and interaction can possibly lead to, therefore I have to finish what I started.

This is a great essay with a powerful ending. They'll be lucky to have you as a student.
:)

---------------------------------------------

Home / Graduate / 'drug-drug interactions' + 'personal issues' - extenuating circumstances