"today's energy crisis" -Statement of Purpose Mechanical Engineering for MS admission

omkara2233 1 / -  
I am required to send a statement of purpose for admissions to MS(Program) in mechanical engineering. I have tried to compose the below SOP but I do not feel satisfied with it. Please I need the help of you guys regarding what I have written,

I feel that today's energy crisis and growing pollution is putting pressure on companies to be more energy efficient and reduce emissions. I want to participate in research that actively seeks such energy-efficient solutions. My master's degree in Mechanical Engineering with emphasis on Thermal and Fluid Science would be a very important step in this direction.

Dr. xyz was my professor for Energy Transfer during third semester of engineering. He introduced us to the topic on thermodynamics and got me interested in topics such as energy conversion, refrigeration and air-conditioning, internal combustion engine and heat transfer. His passion for his subject, the subject content and style of teaching strengthened my understanding of this subject. A very clear prospective for these subjects is one of the major reasons for my interest in these subjects.

In my second year of engineering, my two friends and I participated in an "energy transfer" competition called Contraption. Our goal was to Design and Build a device that uses the most complex process of Energy transfer to light a bulb. The energy was converted from vibration to Kinetic to Potential to Heat to Hydraulic to Electromagnetic and lastly to again Kinetic by using mechanisms and devices to successfully light up the bulb. In this competition we got the runner up prize. This motivated me to further study the subjects pertaining to Thermodynamics such as Energy Transfer, Heat Transfer, Refrigeration/air Conditioning and Fluid Mechanics in detail.

I was captivated by the field of Thermodynamics. I also chose to present a seminar on 'Atkinson Cycle' as a part of the coursework. The seminar talked about fundamentals and thermodynamic analysis of Atkinson cycle. It also analyzed Atkinson Cycle and compared it to other thermodynamic cycles. Finally, I spoke about its latest implementation in a hybrid car engine. It comprised details about how Engines based on Atkinson cycle shows highest thermal efficiency. The seminar also included details on how the development of engines based on Atkinson Cycle can be used in future energy-efficient vehicles.

While studying for the seminar, I encountered another breakthrough technology in improving energy efficacy of vehicles - Continuously Variable Transmission. I chose my final year project as 'Continuously Variable Transmission with Hydraulic Control System (CVT)'. In this project, I and my three group mates designed and got manufactured a Variable diameter Pulley, V- Cogged belt, a Hydraulic Control Mechanism and other assisting components. The project exposed me to particulars of design, Materials and Fluid Mechanics. Apart from this, it also had a social and environmental cause behind as its infinite gear ratio enables engines to run on their optimal efficiency. Moreover, its design enables reduction of transmission losses because of 25% fewer moving parts. This can provide better fuel economy than other transmission Systems. Our pilot Project shows 2.5% less fuel consumption by engine compared to conventional gear box.

I attended a seminar organized by Local chapter of ISHRAE (Indian Society of Heating Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers) discussing the topic of Vapor Absorption Cycle. This event got me more interested in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Systems and Curious about how the solar energy can be utilized and applied in it. I designed a pilot model by utilizing the solar heat energy (Flat plate solar Collectors), to increase the temperature of refrigerant (silica gel-water is taken as the adsorbent refrigerant pair) so as to increase the pressure without the compressor. This will increase efficiency and consume less electrical power, which leads to reduce operating cost. While working on this model I struck by the idea that, in vehicles, waste energy from exhaust of engine can be utilized to drive Refrigeration/Air conditioning system, which will base on Vapor absorption cycle. I wish to work on these powerful technologies like Atkinson or Vapor absorption cycle, which have new applications.

I wish to work with xyz School of Engineering and Veteran professors in the field of thermodynamics especially in Thermoacoustic and Thermal Energy Transport like xyz1 & xyz2, as my passion for Thermodynamics, particularly toward Refrigeration, Cryogenics, HVAC and Thermal Energy Storage. Further I am keen to work on new technologies like Thermoacoustic Heat Engine and Heat Pump, New applications of Stirling Engine, Pulse Tube Refrigerator and Micro Heat and Power Systems. I am good in engineering mathematics; I wish to contribute myself in development of Algorithms and Simulation methods to perform numerical experiments on the systems.

Browsing through the information brochure and research section of Mechanical Department home page, I feel that the Graduate study at the "University of xyz" holds a lot of promise to me. I sincerely hope to have a mutually beneficial association with your University to contribute my best towards making a successful research endeavor. Keeping this in mind, joining your University seems to me as an excellent first step. Thanks for your consideration.
I feel that today's energy crisis and growing pollution is are putting pressure on companies to be more energy- efficient and reduce emissions.

A very clear prospective ---be careful here... this is a good, cmmon mistake to avoid... perspective/prospective.

This essay is so excellent... it has a discussion of your intellectual interests, and you made the stuff interesting to me, too.

I was captivated by the field of Thermodynamics. ---I think you should add a meaning to this sentence. Don't just say it captivated you. Say something insightful about it.

I am good in engineering mathematics; I wish to contribute myself in development of Algorithms and Simulation methods to perform numerical experiments on the systems.---This is excellent, I think the expression of confidence in your skill is good. I think you should add one more sentence after this one, though. Make it a short, clear sentence that adds something to what you have just said.

Keeping this in mind, joining your University seems to me as is an excellent first step. Thanks for your consideration.

Great job!

Home / Graduate / "today's energy crisis" -Statement of Purpose Mechanical Engineering for MS admission