European Master in Strategic Project Management / Motivational statement

Tania2108 1 / -  
Dear moderators,

Please check my motivational statement. This is the first one I've ever written and I think it has a lot of mistakes. What do you think about the examples? Should I write more about my achievements ? ( CV, Diploma and letter of recomendation will be attached to the application form)

Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is Tanya I'm a graduate of National Transport University located in Kyiv (Ukraine). I'm expressing my interest in applying for the autumn semester 2013 for the European Master in Strategic Project Management.

Since childhood I understand that a high quality of education is a right way to a bright future. I always strive not only to be the best in studying but also to get from a course of study as much as it possible. I am confident it is a feature that has helped me to obtain both school-leaving Certificate and Diploma with honors.

MSPME is important not only for my future but also for the future of Ukraine. During the last decade my country is on the way to the European Union. I hope you know that European Football Championship 2012 (EURO 2012) took place in Ukraine and Poland. It was a great project that has become a small step to the European integration and an acid test for the Ukrainian project managers and their teams.

Although the championship has been completed successfully today even ordinary people see mistakes made in project management process. For example, the new trains were a showpiece of the modernisation programme Ukraine to the Euro 2012. They have linked the host cities-Kiev, Lviv, Kharkiv and Donetsk-during the tournament. At present tickets on the fast trains cost up to three times more than on night services travelling the same routes. Due to low temperature outside there are almost 70! breakdowns for the last two months. People had to spend more than 4 hours in the train stopped between the cities and -5 C0 was the temperature in the first class. Who is responsible for this wrong choice which total budget is 307 million of dollars? A very high price for a one mistake, isn't it?

Anyway I like my country and the university I've graduated from. However despite on a good reputation National Transport University at the time of my study had the lack of close association and partnerships with industry as well as collaboration with foreign universities. Perhaps this is the disadvantage of the most Post-Soviet Universities. Since I started my career in a multi-national company I was surprised that my colleagues from European Union were more modern than me. They used different unfamiliar to me techniques in attracting new clients, building long term relationships and even in team-building. However such experience helped me polish my organizational and interpersonal skills in a multi-national society. I've acquired strong leadership and negotiating skills and I know that I can use my capabilities to a successful career.

At present I have no doubts MSPME is relevant for my future career aspirations. The first argument in favor of MSPME is the students study at three European universities therefore every university offers the highest quality of education and unique teaching approach. In my opinion the rigorous nature of the programme introduces students to the various aspects of Strategic Project Management and helps them develop holistic perspective of entire project management process through courses like Business Models, Finance, and Project Procurement etc.

The second one is a high rank of the consortium participants and Herriot Watt University in particular. The fact that almost 95% of graduates in employment or further study within six months of graduation shows the university's alumni are in high demand among the real employers and the other universities.

There is a necessity of highly qualified project managers in my country and I have strong desire to be one of them. Also I'm applying for MSPME not only because of the high educational standards but also because it provides an aura of diversity, both socially and culturally, which will broaden my perspectives in career as well as Ukraine's perspectives to become an integral part of European community.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

This motivational essay will need a lot of work before you can present it to any admissions board. While I somewhat understand what you are trying to say, you do not structure this essay in a way that makes you seem capable of undertaking a degree where the language of instruction is English. On the content front I like the example that you give about the trains, however, instead of making it into a story as you have done here, use it as an example of dysfunction and how the program you are applying to will provide you with the educational resources to help you avoid future calamities once you return to your home country. Also talk more about the program and align the offerings of that program to academic shortfalls that you currently have. - admissions advice online.

Hope this helps

Home / Graduate / European Master in Strategic Project Management / Motivational statement