Explaining poor grades during undergrad

ACCF 1 / -  
I am applying to grad school and I have a very good GPA from my undergraduate work. However, my initial undergrad work (when I was 18 &19 -- I am now 38) is quite poor. I know my explanation is a bit dramatic but its the truth. There is a huge difference in my before GPA and after and the grad school thought I would be able to explain it in 2-3 sentences. Here is my explanation...

I would like to make a brief mention of my previous academic work from GSU. I am not attempting to make excuses I would however, like to explain my situation. I grew up in a very abusive home and upon finishing high school I immediately moved out of my home, supported myself and started college. I realized after sometime that I should have received psychiatric counseling before starting college. After several semesters of poor grades, I withdrew from school for a number of years. I worked and married a very supportive man who along with his parents, provided me with much needed therapy and the healthy concept of family. As my academic records reflect, I dealt with my past, returned to school, and became a registered nurse. For the past several years I have volunteered in my community with a child abuse organization and am currently on the board of Prevent Child Abuse Athens.

Can it be made shorter? Clean it up ?

Thank you!
Alex, I tried to clean up your statement for you. I hope it suits your needs :-)

Having just removed myself for an abusive household upon entering college, I will admit that I was unprepared for the requirements of the course due to emotional and psychological issues stemming from the abuse that I had previously suffered. Trying to deal with my personal issues alone affected my grades and resulted in grades that I am not proud of because in hindsight, I knew I could have done better. Rather than letting my personal issues affect my grades, I should have used it as an inspiration to do better in life. Instead, I ended up dropping out of school and trying to find my way in life. Having turned my life around, I have become a registered nurse and helped abused children through the Prevent Child Abuse Athens organization. My success as a person overshadows any shortcomings I may have had as a student, I hope that I can be considered for admission upon merits other than my college grades.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

At 38 years old, no one will hold your undergraduate freshman and sophomore grades against you. This is especially true if you finished your undergraduate career with a strong overall gpa. There is no need to write this and contrary to what you ask the reader not to do, it will be looked as as just an excuse. - Admissions Advice Online

Home / Graduate / Explaining poor grades during undergrad