I graduated in Electrical and Electronics in engineering. Personal Statement for UCINN. Need review.

anujyadav7547 1 / 4  
Please provide a Personal Statement regarding how your academic achievements, personal interests, and life experiences have helped prepare you to succeed academically and to be an active member of the UC community. Be sure your response addresses each of the three components. (Please limit your response to approximately 250 words)

I graduated in Electrical and Electronics in engineering. It was overwhelming to learn the various subjects covering topics from low voltage microprocessor to High power turbines. I took on a project of designing IIR filters to suppress the digital noise using MATLAB. Though MATLAB was not the first high-level language I learned, but this was the first time I was introduced to the concept of using computer programming to control the functioning of the electronic circuit. This project developed in me the ability to use concepts of information technology in a pragmatic way.

Working with one of the India's biggest Information Technology firm, Infosys limited, for more than 5 years, I have had opportunities to work in several projects with multitudinous roles with clients and have seen them making an informed business decision using information technology. I have also learned that to advance in any job is to make oneself more valuable than what your position calls for and hence motivating me to pursue a Master's degree in Management of Information systems.

Inspired by the "People You May Know" feature of LinkedIn and coupled with my personal work experience of on Campaign Management and sales and marketing feature in banking domain, I am inclined towards presenting the unstructured data to clients and helping them with business questions and problem. The role of Data analysts and Data scientists has motivated to pursue a higher education in this field.
Anuj, don't make any reference to LinkedIn within your statement. Letting universities know that you are on these kinds of employment websites does not always come across positively to the reviewer as there is a question regarding the credibility of these websites. Try to rephrase that part without referring to the site. What i have below is a longer version, 200 words in total of your statement. I believe that he content and form of the essay ended improving because of the editing I did. Either use this or make it the basis of your revision. Here is my take on your statement:

I graduated with a degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. While i found it overwhelming to learn the various subjects covering topics from low voltage microprocessor to High power turbines , I took on a project of designing IIR filters to suppress the digital noise using MATLAB. While MATLAB was not the first high-level language I learned, this was the first time I jad used the concept of using computer programming to control the function of the electronic circuit. This project helped me develop the ability to use concepts of information technology in a pragmatic way.

Working with one of the India's biggest Information Technology firm, Infosys limited, for more than 5 years has given me the oppportunities to work on several projects under various roles with clients. Allowing me to observe them as they made informed business decisions using information technology.

My personal work experience in the area of Campaign Management and sales and marketing features in the banking domain has developed my inclination to present unstructured data to clients in order to help them analyze and solve their business problems. The role of Data analysts and Data scientists has motivated to pursue a higher education in this field.
pallavithakur 2 / 7 3  
Hello Anuj,

Can you mention some reason as how the rolw of ]Data analysts and Data scientists has motivated you to pursue a higher education in this field now. The statement seems incomplete.
OP anujyadav7547 1 / 4  
Hi Vengiespen and Pallavi,
Thanks for your time to go through my essay. Really appreciate your effort. I understand my essay was missing the hook and also the last para seemed unconnected. I have rewritten the essay in an attempt to cover both. Request you guys to please review this. All comments and criticism are appreciated.

Once, during my initial days in Information technology(IT) industry, I created an excel based macro to renumber the test cases names which reduced the rework time of a test engineer by test case preparation by about 10%. It was a basic record and play macro and yet, it proved to be big help for the team. This marked a pivotal moment in my understanding of IT, that it is not about coding or programming, this industry is all about improving the operation of companies. I am proud to say that I have continued to develop automation tools like KPI calculator, to help reduce the human efforts on mundane tasks.

I inculcated this pragmatic approach during college graduation while working on a project of designing IIR filters to suppress the digital noise using MATLAB. Though MATLAB was not the first high-level language I learned, but this was the first time I was introduced to the concept of using computer programming to control the functioning of the electronic circuit.

The drive for Master's is derived from my work assignment at the client location. I was working on Quality assurance of Campaign management and Sales and Marketing feature for a financial institution. The module was focused on increasing the sales by offering products to customers based on banking behavior and click through rates. These data subsequently gets analyzed and portrayed to business to highlight the area of maximum profit. The role of answering business questions using unstructured data motivates me to pursue advanced studies with the specification in Data analytics.

Thanks in advance. Hope to hear from you,
Anuj
Anuj, this is a good response to the professional aspect of the prompt. It is quite detailed and really offers a complete insight as to your professional abilities. However, that is not the only requirement of the prompt. You need to choose only the top professional experience that you have to present in this essay. Then use the other paragraphs to represent your academic interests and personal interests in the field you are working in.

Basically, your personal statement should show the methods by which your academic interests in the line of work developed. Talk about your early interest, without veering into your childhood interest, starting from high school, that led to your current career. Make sure to highlight notable moments from your academic life in relation to the major you chose and how that translated into more advanced academic interests in the field for you.

The essay should also show how your personal interest in the field has affected your mindset. Perhaps you have a secret electronics project that you are working on? Something that you feel will change the field of electronic engineering in the future? If you do, then give a summary of that project and how you feel it can help advance the field should your project become successful.

Remember, there are 3 aspects that have to be represented in the essay, your academic, personal, and life (professional) interests. So far you have the life interests accurately discussed. You just need to work on the other 2 :-)

Home / Graduate / I graduated in Electrical and Electronics in engineering. Personal Statement for UCINN. Need review.