'hope to achieve something in life' - SOP for M.Sc./Ph. D. in Geoscience 4/4/2016

midox2 1 / -  
Everyone wakes up in the morning hoping to achieve something in life. Hope to achieve immortality with his contribution to society, science and future. For me, Earth science and specifically Petroleum Science has a great impact on everyone's life since the first well drilled in Pennsylvania or even before that in the Chinese civilization, passing through the invention of internal combustion engines till now, where petrochemical products are everywhere. And yet, it is still a virgin field for research and development.

I have completed four years of studying Petroleum Engineering with honorable academic achievements. I have challenged myself to succeed as much as I can, in efforts to improve myself both as a student and as an individual. Currently, my rank is the first over the class of 2016 (1 of 100) with cumulative scores of 90.8% (equivalent to GPA=4.0).

My fascination for Reservoir Engineering, Computer Science and Mathematics is the reason why I decided to study Reservoir Modeling. I have discovered my passion for reservoir modeling in the best way I can imagine during the Reservoir Simulation course as I have spent a much time reading books about reservoir modeling and implementing this knowledge in building a reservoir simulator using my previous experience in programming in MATLAB. At the end of the course I was able to make a reservoir simulator with a graphical interface using C# and it was selected as the best simulator made for this year 2016 in our faculty. This nominated me by the Head of Petroleum Engineering department to give presentations in front of more than 100 of younger students about this experience. Also, I was nominated by the head of Exploration department to do an internship in Schlumberger SIS (Software Integrated Solutions), where I was trained on reservoir modeling using PETREL and ECLIPSE. During this internship I worked on two project to make a field development plan using water flooding, working in a team of four students and I was selected to be the leader of my team. Each project lasted for one week and ended by a presentations in front of SIS department staff. Also, the diversity in teams combining students from different backgrounds is a great experience.

My interest in Reservoir Engineering or Geoscience, in general, motivated me to expand my knowledge outside classroom. I have completed an online certified course from Stanford University (Reservoir Geomechanics, GP202) [2015]. Also, currently I am enrolled in an online course (Computer science, CS50x) from Harvard University to fulfil my tendency to learn more about Computer Science.

I have inherited my affinity to research from my father who works as a professor and this has a great impact on me; I wrote an unpublished paper about "Smart Wells Completions" participated with it in the paper contest held by Kuwait Energy Company. I became a member of SPE R&D team as a result of my desire to create and innovate; We worked on a research about "Nanoparticles Applications in Enhanced Oil Recovery" this has taught me how to negotiate with people and how to accept criticisms positively. Now, I am planning to make modifications in fluid modeling equations with fluid samples from Egyptian reservoirs in a way to improve reservoir fluids modelling in Egypt.

Alongside my study work, I have been able to participate in numerous extra-curricular activities. I am the Head of Academy Committee AAPG and R&D team SPE. This additional responsibility helped me to hone my time management skills.

My plans during my stay in **** is huge and will expand for each day I stay there. But mainly I am planning to increase my numerical and mathematical modelling abilities. More understanding the geophysical problems especially those associated with Unconventionals to pave the way for more research in this field. Unconventional reservoirs had an uprising importance in the last few years and developing models for them became a must. **** is characterized by a staff of the most experienced professors and having an opportunity to gain form their experience is an unmissable. **** Core and Supercomputing labs is the dream of any student interested in modeling and this will support me to achieve my desires to the experimental research. Beside academics, I am planning to immerse myself in all areas of university life; participating in extracurricular activities to increase my networking space and to have friends from different countries.

For me, **** is the most convenient and comfortable place for doing M.Sc. and Ph.D. and it agitates my enthusiasm for many reasons; Firstly, I have spent 10 years of my life in Saudi Arabia due to my father's job as a professor during this period I got used to the country, its people, traditions, and its culture. Secondly, according to the 2015 data **** is ranked #1 worldwide in research impact, QS World University ranking, and this fulfill my passion to research. Thirdly, the diversity found in the university staff and students is a great experience and a perfect reflection of the real petroleum industry.

As a **** graduate, I have many plans; Firstly, if I joined the industry, I will work in R&D in a way to implement the knowledge I have gained. Secondly, if I continued in the academic branch, I will work as a professor and I will share all the experience that I had in **** among my class students.

I hope my pursuits in being a decent student and individual has allowed me enough qualification to attend your university, and I hope to further expand my knowledge by attending such a high standing university in my second home country.
Kimbong93 7 / 12 1  
Dear writer, I am really happy to read your essay. It is completely clear. But let me to give you any suggetions.

In the first paragraph, better if you change word "Hope " to "Hoping or To hope ", and "For me, Earth science and specifically Petroleum Science " change to "For me, Earth Science, especially Petroleum Science "

Hoping to achieve immortality with his contribution to society, science and future. For me, Earth science, especially Petroleum Science has a great impact on ...

Thank you.
Regards,

Kimbong93

Home / Graduate / 'hope to achieve something in life' - SOP for M.Sc./Ph. D. in Geoscience 4/4/2016