An interest in Business and Accounting - My Personal Statement for Business School

businesshopeful 1 / -  
Thoughts, critiques or any other suggestions are welcomed. 13,000 word limit.

Describe any personal or economic hardships or barriers you have had to overcome and explain how they affected your education. Be specific about when you encountered these hardships and how long they lasted.

Early in my education it was clear that I was behind my peers in many academic areas, mainly because I was exposed to the American language and culture for the first time when I stepped into my Kindergarten classroom. I am the oldest of three siblings and my parents emigrated from Taiwan a year before I was born, so it was not surprising that I struggled to find help not only in how to approach schoolwork but also in a new culture and life in general. It was particularly difficult from kindergarten through fifth grade as I had to take ESL in order to catch up. But these shortcomings did not deter me, as I was able to persevere and get through tough times. Things that seemed trivial to my peers were completely new to me. Like in the first grade, I thought that "making a bed" literally meant taking four tree stumps and a board and gluing them together. Even in the fifth grade, I was typing essays on Notepad instead of Microsoft Word because I didn't even know what "Word" was. It was honestly embarrassing back then and I was fairly reserved because of this. But with the help of my parents and caring teachers I was able to improve. Because of my perseverance through cultural and educational hardships I was able to succeed and be where I am today.

Now that I am in college I have felt a great pressure to pick a "respected" major. When I asked my mom if accounting was a good major she said, "You can do better than that." My grandpa made a habit of coming out of his room with a magazine about doctors and would always point at the cover saying, "If you become a doctor you will be well-respected and have a good life." When I mentioned accounting I would get, "Accounting?" Despite my doubts, I was convinced that I would be able to stand up to the challenge and work hard in order to major in what everyone expected of me. However, I quickly realized that I was not prepared for the rigor my coursework. It dawned on me that this pathway would not be right for me. I was miserable that, even with my best efforts, I was not able to succeed in my studies. My parents kept urging me to continue saying, "it doesn't matter if it takes you four years or ten years to graduate, as long as you graduate in Engineering." However, I realized that I needed to start listening to myself and major in something that I had interest in. I felt down that I was not able to live up to my initial expectations. After I found an interest in Business I was not going to give up that easily, especially after my parents gave up so much to give me this opportunity.

In the context of your life experience, describe your understanding of cultural differences, how this awareness was acquired, and how it affected you.

I have always wondered how students, like me, who have immigrant parents, are able to succeed through so many cultural barriers. I realized in high school that I was able to get a 3.98 GPA not necessarily because I was naturally good at everything, but because I gave my full effort to succeed in academics. Even though my parents could not help me with any of my schoolwork they taught me to work hard and never give up. Setting high goals and having that inner fire that refuses to fail are the reasons for why students, like me, with educational shortcomings are able to work along side students who came from better backgrounds. Now I realize that with grit and hard work it is possible for anyone who has educational hardships to succeed in anything they have a passion for.

The summer before my freshman year in college my family went back to their homeland (Taiwan) for the first time in eleven years. I was excited for the fun ahead, but what I didn't realize was that it would be more than a "vacation," it would be a life changing experience. My memories of Taiwan were all from photo, so when I first saw my relatives it hit me. Eleven years is a long time. It was sad to see my parents - the grief that was in their eyes. My usually strict dad let out roars of laughter after seeing his old friends for the first time in over two decades. For me to see my grown relatives was not what I had expected, but for my parents it probably hurt them to be away from friends and family that they cared about so deeply. The day that would change my life was when I went to visit my grandma at the hospital. My parents told me, "be strong, your Grandma isn't doing so well and she's very sick." When we arrived I found my grandma with her head shaved and on her deathbed. I will never forget my mom repeating, "Mom, I am sorry I didn't have the time to take you anywhere. I am really sorry!!!" Those words will be forever engrained in my mind. That was the first time that I had ever seen my mom cry and I cried, too. Even though I didn't know my grandma I just felt sorry because my parents gave up everything for their children when they came to America and I had no idea. Today, whenever I feel down and about to give up, I remember my experience in Taiwan and how much pain my parents had to go through. Whatever I face pails no comparison with what they had to go through - not even close. After my visit, there is no excuse for me to give up and I don't plan to do so anytime at all.

Write about any experience you have had that demonstrates your leadership skills. Examples could be taken from: employment, community service, student organizations, or similar situations. Be specific about when you had these experience(s) and how long they lasted.

I have been a member of the [name of church censored] church for eight years now. The group is made up of kids whose parents' first language is Chinese. We meet each Sunday from 1-3pm in order to plan special activities that we are going to be doing for the community year around. We do events for Father's Day, Mother's day and summer group activities among other activities but our biggest contributions are during the holidays as our activities also span globally. Our Youth Group participates in our annual Christmas Shoebox Project gift-wrapping party where all of us would bring new or gently used toys, books or clothes and gift-wrap them in shoeboxes. All the gifts that we wrap go straight to needy children in Africa, India, and the Philippines.

How has the educational background of your parents/legal guardians influenced your own education, especially your decision to go to college? What kind of support did you receive in making and pursuing the decision to go to college? Please tell us if you are among the first generation in your family to go to college.

My parents' both graduated from high school in Taiwan before coming over to the United States in order find better opportunities. I am a first generation college student - oldest of my two siblings and the first of anyone in my extended family to ever pursue an education in America. My parents stressed the importance of education and were a very strong influence on my decision to go to college. They supported me in anyway possible and gave me everything they could to help so that at least I could have an opportunity. My father works overtime six days a week as a mail carrier in order to fund the extracurricular activities like tennis camp or piano lessons. I am truly grateful for their support that they are giving me in order to pursue an education that they didn't have a chance to experience.

Thank you for your help!
When I asked my mom ifwhether accounting was a good major she said, "You can do better than that."

Despite my doubts, I was convinced that I would be able to stand up to the challenge and work hard in order to major in what everyone expected offrom me.

They supported me in anywayevery possible way and gave me everything they couldin their power to help so that at least I could have an opportunity.me succeed in college. My father works overtime six days a week as a mail carrier in order to fund the extracurricular activities likesuch as tennis camp or piano lessons. I am truly grateful for their support that they are giving me in order toenables me to pursue an education that they didn't have a chance to experience.
extrafresh 13 / 32  
Hey Alex,

Your writing is very good, actually.

Just one little thing:

My parents' both graduated from high school in Taiwan before coming over to the United States in order find better opportunities. -- in order to

Home / Graduate / An interest in Business and Accounting - My Personal Statement for Business School