'living up to the high expectations' - sop for ms mechanical engineering

tanmayg2 1 / 3 1  
Statement of Purpose
xyz M.S in Mechanical Engineering
Through my undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering, I found deep interests in Machine Design, CAD/CAM and Manufacturing Engineering. Also, my aptitude for logical reasoning, problem solving capabilities and visualization encourages me to opt for a M.S in Design specialization. My career objective is to undertake research in a field that calls for creative thinking and is relevant to industry and society in general. I feel a graduate degree will provide me the intellectual depth necessary to succeed in this field.

My father worked for engineering giant Larsen and Toubro. As a student I visited L&T's sprawling premises in Mumbai and was fascinated by the diverse projects executed by them. I was able to witness the manufacturing processes of PSLV shells, urea reactors, end shields of nuclear power plants, heat exchangers and other products involving skills of a high order. The desire to learn design and its importance led me to pursue my undergraduate program in Mechanical Engineering. My excellent performance at high school and subsequent entrance tests secured me an admit to the premier xyz .

The undergraduate courses on Thermal sciences, Applied Mechanics, Strength of Materials, Theory of Machines, Design and Fluid Mechanics among other courses helped me establish strong fundamentals in Mechanical Engineering. I focused more on learning topics on Machine Design, Finite Element Methods, Fracture Mechanics, Manufacturing Engineering, Design for Manufacture, , and Computer Aided Design. I undertook 3 mini-projects, of which I found the design of a Lawn mower to be most challenging. The problem statement was to design a mechanically operated lawn mower without using gearing arrangement. The constraint meant that we could not adopt any of the conventional designs. We implemented a quarter belt drive to transmit the torque from the wheels to the rotor. The experience taught me the importance of creative thinking in implementing simple and practical solutions.

Mechanical engineering is an adaptive field whose dynamics are changing each day. By opting to study Finite Elemental Methods (FEM), Advanced Manufacturing Techniques (AMT) and Advanced Machine Design (AMD) I kept myself abreast of some of the exciting developments in these fields. The basic objective of the course on FEM was enabling u to model, analyze and design systems relevant to Mechanical Engineers. Studying ANSYS as part of the course FEM helped me work in a group on a mini-project in my third year, which involved analyzing brake disc configurations in thermal ANSYS. The disc having desirable parameters such as maximum heat dissipation rate and minimum peak temperature was selected for its most effective configuration. The work also convinced me about how effective FEM can be in the hands of design engineer.

As part of AMT, we performed an experiment in the micromachining lab on micro-welding using CO2 laser. We consistently achieved high quality spot welds on foils of thickness less than 100 ľm. The level of accuracy that we obtained by the setup made me realize that modern designs are becoming very precise as industry is adopting these advanced techniques to manufacture components with minimal tolerances. The practical sessions allowed us to develop hands on experience in operating the machines such as WEDM, CO2 laser, micro-drilling, micro-milling among others.

I tested my skills in design and manufacturing by participating in the SAE BAJA competition as a part of the college team. The aim of the competition was to develop and test an All Terrain Vehicle. I was selected after a grueling screening process involving interview and task rounds. In the team, I was responsible for the design and integration of steering assembly. We adopted rack and pinion steering arrangement which was light weight and easily serviceable. The steering subsystem had to ensure a low Turning Circle Radius (TCR) to enhance maneuverability. I used AUTO CAD to iterate the perfect steering geometry according to the overall vehicle dimension. The steering design was integrated with the double wishbone suspension design in the front of the vehicle. I analyzed the front assembly in MSC ADAM's car simulation to ensure that the bump steer was minimal and other design parameters such as roll center fluctuation were within acceptable limits. The experience proved invaluable for me wherein I realized the importance of the nuances of design. Though an unfortunate accident prevented us from finishing the final endurance test, it was a matter of immense pride for us that our vehicle was short listed among the top 5 for the Best Engineering Design in a highly competitive field. Further, we also won the award for the best acceleration, bagging the pole position for the main BAJA endurance race. The projects undertaken by me including BAJA have helped me build upon my fundamental concepts in design and manufacturing and encourage me to learn further.

It is important to maintain a healthy balance between extracurricular activities and academics. I am a member of our college boat club and find solace in long outings on the single scull in the river next to our college. As a member of the committee for organizing the technical festival of our college and by leading the Publicity Team for the Regatta, an annual event staged by our college boat club, I learnt to be an effective leader and improved my soft skills. Participating in these events has made me realize the importance of values such as hard work passion dedication and zeal.

I have maintained an illustrious academic record throughout my undergraduate program. My C.G.P.A of 8.78 at the end of the 6th semester places me in the top 6% (9th in a competitive class of 160 students). My emphasis on strengthening my basics during my undergraduate program was rewarded when I was placed at the R&D team at Bajaj Auto, one of the world's leading motorcycle manufacturers, through campus recruitment.

My future goal is to pursue research in field of Design and Manufacturing in industry or academia. The research work of some of your faculty members is very similar to my areas of interest which encourages me pursue to graduate education from xyz university. It would be an honor to learn from Dr. xxxin the areas of xxx. It would also be a privilege to work under xxx in the field of xxx. Further. I believe I can live up to the high expectation of your esteemed university and contribute meaningfully to your research endeavors. I would be grateful to the admissions committee if they would consider my application favorably.
I prefer if you have your second para as the introductory para. This is your SOP and may be the first impression you are going to make about yourself. So having more creativity in this essay would help you impress the panel. Start with how you developed the passion for mech eng and then proceed. : )
OP tanmayg2 1 / 3 1  
hey thnx for ur suggestion
il make the required correction
any other changes????
Hi

Well... seems you are such a techieeeeee :D
So does your SOP with full of technical jargon which I dont understand half of it :D
I don't find any grammar or any other writing issues here, but your approach seems a bit like reporting things. I wish if you give it a more emotional appeal.

: )
OP tanmayg2 1 / 3 1  
hey
actually i know it seems a bit dull.
allright il try to add some more colour
but its gonna be difficult.
coz the essay in its present form perfectly potrays who i am :D
Come on... you dont seem to be a dull person though you study dull things which have less human interactions :D

Also, human beings are clever in adding colors to any dull subject :D

Home / Graduate / 'living up to the high expectations' - sop for ms mechanical engineering