'Master in Economics at your distinguished university' - application essay

Rayx 1 / -  
Hi, everybody, I'm writing a PS for Master in Economics, and I really need some help please.
Thank you in advance!

my interest in Economics and academic goals

I have graduated from XXX University, where I majored in Finance and minored in Economics. Immersed in an independent and advanced academic atmosphere, I have achieved good academic results: my overall GPA of 85 out of 100, I set up my mind to study abroad to further learn more in Economics at your university.

During my undergraduate studies, I received foundation education in mathematics, finance, econometrics and economics. For example, Intermediate and Advanced Microeconomics courses extended my knowledge of the basic microeconomic principles and gave me insight into how economic models can help us think about important real world phenomena. Corporate Finance provided a broad knowledge of finance and valuation and analytic tools to corporate financial management and decision-making. My graduate project was the study of on surplus labor in China with the aim to find a policy to solve the shortage problem and maintain economic growth. I used China Health and Nutrition Survey (CHNS) data to empirically test whether China has used up surplus labor and finally I obtained the results that surplus labor still exists, which indicates the labor shortage in coastal areas may be caused by fractional reasons.

My research experience will also contribute to my future studies in your program. In 2015, I participated in a project to find an arbitrage investment strategy based on CSI300 index futures. I, first, used the method of optimizing the weight of the industry hierarchical to build the stock portfolio and copied the CSI300 index. Then, I calculated the no-arbitrage interval to decide when to carry forward the cash and carry arbitrage, and also applied Lingo to find the solution to the optimization problem. In this project, I not only learned how to use the covered interest arbitrage to analyze economic problems, but also understood the importance of importance of quantitative and empirical analysis skills for economic and financial analysis. In another project in 2012, I conducted an investigation on financing methods of intangible cultural heritage park. We applied quantitative analysis on the financing risks of the trust products by using VaR and KMV Model. It made me realized that mathematical models and quantitative analysis play an important role in the financial industry and encouraged me to further my study in Financial / Economics.

For my future plan, I am planning to start as a economic analyst assistant in financial institutions such as securities exchange or investment bank to acquire more professional knowledge and to accumulate a certain amount of real work experience. On gaining experience, I believe my career can develop to senior economic analyst a large multinational enterprise or in a top-five-hundred strongest enterprise.

In order to achieve my career goal, I need to improve my analytical ability, computational skills as well as my finance and economics knowledge and I think the MSc in Economics in YYY University is the best choice to further my studies. Firstly, this program provides a broad and rigorous curriculum, which can provide me with opportunities to have a good grasp of theoretical knowledge and skills in investment, financial modelling, financial data analysis / quantitative methods, international finance, computing skills. The electives courses also enable me to observe things from different perspectives, which is quite important for my further development in this industry. Moreover, YYY University is an international graduate-level research university, with top international scientists and students, which provides an ideal climate for me to develop my cross-disciplinary interests.

I am determined and will be honored to take my postgraduate program in MSc Economics at your distinguished university. I am sure that, I will be able to significantly enrich my knowledge, enhance my expertise, sharpen my research skills, and make contributions to this industry.

Thanks very much.
Ray, what you have here is a statement of purpose. This is not a personal statement. A personal statement is often confused with the SOP because of the confusion regarding its required information. A personal statement is actually much simpler to writer because it requires less complicated information. In a personal statement for a person interested in taking a masters degree in Economics, you should focus on more profession related information in connection with your personal interest.

Develop an essay that shows the foundation of your interest in Economics beyond the academic side. What are your personal reasons for this interest? How would you say that translates into you wishing to become a better economist? What, in your point of view, is the importance of an economist in today's global economy? Is this personal definition the reason why you feel that you have come up short in your profession? Would you say that you require additional theoretical and practical training in order to become a better economist?

Towards the end of the essay, you need to explain how your academic goals have influenced your choice of university. This means, you need to clearly explain the reasons why you feel that your academic goals will be best serviced by specific courses and training programs offered by the university. Explain why everything just "fits" in terms of your requirements as a masters degree student due to the parallelism between your academic needs and the university mission or objectives.

Home / Graduate / 'Master in Economics at your distinguished university' - application essay