Why Master of Economics / Master of Applied Economics and Econometrics?

nelanavida 1 / -  

Australian Awards Scholarship 2019 Essay

Please kindly review my essay on question "Why did you choose your proposed course and institution?". Thank you.

I am an economics graduate and I currently work as a research fellow in the Indonesia Financial Services Authority under Directorate of Education and Consumer Protection Policy Research and Regulation. As a researcher in the field of policymaking in financial sector, I realized that continuing study is essential to enhance skills and capabilities in designing well-targeted policies. In this case, I discovered that pursuing master degree in economics will help me to enhance knowledge, both practical and theoritical, regarding framework thinking and concept design for the research on public policy, especially under monetary and financial sector. Based on a careful

research, I decided to apply to these two institutions with the following courses:

1.Master of Economics, University of Melbourne. The university is one of the best insititution in the world to learn economics and econometrics. Beyond that, the syllabus of the program shows that it will give the students both qualitative and quantitative skills, which is aligned with my previous career that works in designing public policy and will be comprehend my capabilities in prospective career as regulator in monetary and financial sector. In further, this program also offers the prospective students to explore Bayesian Research Model with many experts within, in which I believe will be really useful for the future quantitative research in Indonesia's cases.

2.Master of Applied Economics and Econometrics, Monash University. This institution has good reputation on economics or econometrics subject which provides the students with specialist knowledge, applicable tools and skills in those two subjects to solve important economic policy questions. The course also is known for equip the students with quantitative skills to effectively analyse and get insights from the data.

To conclude, I am highly motivated to learn economics, specifically monetary economics, banking and finance in Australia in any of the university above with their own strengths and weaknesses that I am ready to adapt with. I believe that the study will empower my academic and research skills and support my future career focusing on building regulatory settings in monetary, banking and finance sector for the purpose of Indonesia's economic growth and in further, for its development.
Jozelearner 1 / 3  
Hello nelanavida

After reading your essay i think you should be careful with the second and third paragraph beginning.

Master of Economics, University of Melbourne. / University of Melbourne , Master of Economics,

Master of Applied Economics and Econometrics, Monash University. / Monash University.

Instead of using to summarize use summarizing sounds better and try to use more connector it would help your reading to make it more readable.

Hope it helps

Regards
@nelanavida you did extremely well in the first part of the essay where you introduce the purpose of your higher studies. However, in your second university choice, you do not really explain your academic and professional goals in relation to the chosen courses at these institutions. You are only repeating what you read in your research about the universities, which doesn't tell the reviewer how these relate to your future career development. We need to read about your career plans and how these courses will prepare you for that specific course of action. The second choice falls short of doing that.

You need to explain "why" you chose the course and university in relation to a specific educational and career directed objective on your part. So we know what the classes offer based on your research, but you don't tell us how it applies to your workplace. You need to revise that part of the essay to bring that discussion into focus rather than the practically copy paste information that you got from the web. Explain:

1. Why you chose the course in relation to your future career goals based on your current profession.
2. Why you chose the university in relation to your academic and professional goals.
3. Explain the final purpose that you have for your higher studies.

There is also a part of the first university choice that is not really comprehensible due to the improper sentence development you delivered. Please clarify what you mean by:

will be comprehend my capabilities in prospective career

That phrase may make sense in your native tongue but in English it is just a series of nonsensical words. Clarify the point you are trying to make by either writing a new sentence or increasing your explanation in that portion of the presentation.

Home / Scholarship / Why Master of Economics / Master of Applied Economics and Econometrics?