'my mother and I had moved' - Boston University Supplement on the Common App

cherylfaux 2 / 4  
Hey everyone, I'm applying to Boson University and for their supplement, there are two different essay topics,
Short Essay: In a few sentences, please tell us why BU is a good fit for you and what specifically has led you to apply for admission?this is for Boston University's Supplement

and

BU attracts students from more countries than are represented in the United Nations. Our global presence and reputation are important and are reflected in the perspectives, opinions, and experiences of our students. Why is this type of environment important to you?

And along with critiquing this, can you guys help me decide which topic this will go under? I was obviously thinking the second one, but the second one has 3 alternatives.

So should this be the mandatory or one of the alternatives?
Thanks so much!

Every day I wake up to the same routine, stop at the same stop signs, drive past the same traffic lights, and see the same faces of people walking by on the streets. Fortunately, it wasn't always like this-my mother and I had moved and seen various parts of the United States eight different times before she decided that we should settle down in the tiny suburb of Powder Springs.

Due to our vast amount of travel, I soon found myself to be somewhat of an expert on the ways of adaption. I had not only easily adapted to the many unfamiliar environments, but I also made use of that adaptability to contribute something unique to the new environment. I would figure out what made that specific region of the United States unique and find out how I could make a difference. Whether it was helping children at the Boys and Girls club in Providence, or picking up trash on the beach in San Bernardino, I used the talents I already had to help others. To go from experiencing the distinctive characteristics in the people and the state of which they lived, to now being in a location filled with uniformity has left me yearning for the opinions of others from different continents, religions, and backgrounds. This passion is what ultimately led me to choosing the major International Business.

Choosing business as a major was not a problem-I had started a t-shirt company, managed multiple teams and clubs at my school and participated in multiple business leadership camps-it was which business was right for me, and as much as it may seem hard to believe, living in this type of community has truly helped me grow. It has allowed me to become curious about ways outside the United States and that curiosity made me want to discover the world because I realized that by participating in a global network and learning about others, I'll truly end up learning about myself. As I get to know about the world and its people, I'll begin to understand my own cultural values on a deeper level. As I study a familiar subject from a different cultural perspective and an unfamiliar educational system, I may see things that I had naturally assumed in a new light. And with the firsthand knowledge of another culture, I'll develop the ability and self assurance to board my opportunities significantly, overcome cultural barriers and become a confident world citizen.
jonnnnnnn 2 / 3  
This is already very strong and has most of the elements it need to stand out. To begin with, it is a great idea to showcase your previous experience with topics related to the major your want, however, it is not a good idea to make it seem that you are an expert in the subject. The colleges need to to see that you want and need them. They have to believe that you consider them the only way to achieve this lofty goal of yours. You concluding message is fantastic. Be sure not to brag when throwing in community service projects, it may help to give someone else credit. This way the college takes note of both your volunteer experience and your humility.
OP cherylfaux 2 / 4  
Thank you so much for feedback, I appreciate it.

Home / Graduate / 'my mother and I had moved' - Boston University Supplement on the Common App