MPH Statement, "health opportunities"

tinkerbell84 1 / -  
Hi Guys I am applying to the MPH program, any corrections and suggestions are welcome![/b]This is what I have so far. [b]Thanks so much for helping!!

Throughout my time at XXX High School and the X University, I have actively pursued a number of community health opportunities. I believe these self-initiated civic engagements coupled with my studies and research experience makes me a well prepared applicant for the X University's Program in Public Health (PH). Through my independent projects and experiences I have become interested in pursuing a career in public health policy and research in developing nations. As a College founded and recognized to educate health professionals and academics, the X University has always stood out as one of the leading institutions for the education of public health and sciences. The X University's Public Health program will provide me with the tools and knowledge necessary to continue and flourish in a career in Public Health that will allow me to implement public health changes in developing nations in a professional manner.

My interests in PH started from a very young age as I spent much of my youth in and out of hospitals, due to my father's battle with cancer. Spending so much time in such places, made me aware, from an early age, how crucial it was to have a proper health system. A successful health care system not only looks at the healing aspect of patients, but more importantly must take a proactive and holistic approach so as to care for the wellbeing, surroundings and living conditions of patients such that major illnesses can be avoided. Not only will this increase the longevity of people's lives but also reduce the costs associated with health emergencies that could have been avoided. There is no question in my mind that my father was fortunate to be surrounded by the best medical team, technological advances and pharmaceutical miracles that ensured him a second chance at a healthy life. But he was also in a society where lobbyists fought for safer/GMO-free foods, the environment and raising awareness to the health effects of greenhouse gases, all in an attempt to improve living conditions of citizens and to avoid preventable health catastrophes. Therefore I believe that not only should all participating health organizations focus on the delivery of treatment but also examine health and disease in ecological and socio-cultural perspectives and draw up preventative measures by being proactive.
frederic80 2 / 4  
Moreover, I think you should evoke an example in your career where you were involved in a volonteer organization and you were participating actively as a team player.

I hope that could help.
Good luck

Home / Graduate / MPH Statement, "health opportunities"