Home / Graduate   % width   Posts: 3

PhD copy (an application for an Immunology PhD)

Jessmarie 1 / -  
Hello,

I am not sure if this is in the right place so apologies if its not!

I am writing an application for an Immunology PhD, and have a few questions as this is my first application:

I am asked to submit a copy, detailing your education, training and experience. I have no idea how detailed this is meant to be, and as I have not been fortunate enough to take part in a placement year or gain any industrial experience I am at a loss what to put. I am expecting a first in my degree but the only "training" I have really done is basic lab work throughout my degree and a short research project which I have talked about in my personal statement. I'm not sure whether I should address my lack of experience?

I don't know whether to mention non-science related work experiences (waitressing, sales rep, university ambassador), or volunteering (RSPCA, mentoring teenagers and feeding the homeless), or would admissions not be interested in this?

Should I list all my marks (or at least some) for the units I have done at University or would admissions obtain these themselves?

Thanks in advance for your replies :)

Jessica

EF_Kevin 8 / 13185  
detailing your education, training and experience. I have no idea how detailed this is meant to be, and as I have not been fortunate enough to take part in a placement year or gain any industrial experience I am at a loss what to put.

Okay, well remember that they had to come up with a question and that they do not even really know what to ask. It's okay... you are qualified! Do not let this trip you up.

Emphasize your lab work, because it is meaningful. Discuss your research project and your other ideas for further research. You need to have confidence, because all these years you have indeed been preparing for this field. Let's see you write something, and be confident, serious, and focused on achieving certain goals that are associated with your vision or plan.

:-)
kchafe 2 / 6  
Don't worry about the lack of experience! Focus on the little experience you do have and do not be afraid to build it up with your writing. Write as much as you can about the lab work and research project -- what skills you learned, any particular strengths, etc. You can also mention classes that were meaningful to you and which really focused your research interests. I do not think that non-science related work and volunteer experience is relevant.

Most school departments do not mind students contacting them with questions such as this! Asking questions does not make you appear as a weak candidate, it makes you look interested!

Best of luck

Home / Graduate / PhD copy (an application for an Immunology PhD)
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: