essay for PhD position in evolutionary biology

akanksha21 1 / 2  
Hi everyone,
I need suggestion on the essay I have written to apply for a PhD position:

From the beginning of my school days I was a student with keen interest in life sciences. Knowing more about the consternations and mysteries of life always gathered my attention. I was always curious about genesis of life and my search led me to intricately linked theories but every piece has to be joined correctly to solve the puzzle of origin of life. All these questions made me more excited and I opted for life sciences as major during my intermediate level studies.

For undergraduate I joined B .Tech in bioinformatics which is complete blend of informatics approaches to solve biological problems. This course enhanced my understanding about application of computational approaches to solve biological problems. Since I was always interested in understanding the relation between the organisms, the courses like comparative genomics broadened my understanding. Questions like why there are certain characters which are specific to humans, why only humans developed the power of speech, why apart from 90% similarity with other primates humans are very different and possess some unique characters? were always fascinating for me. In words of Theodosius Dobzhansky "Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution" gave me direction to move in the field of evolutionary science.

Life evolved from single cell to diverse varieties of complex multicellular organisms. This diversity of life seems to be elusively tough and complicated but it is the study of evolution patterns which can help us to resolve it into simple pattern. The study of evolution can change our way of thinking about nature. A variety of organisms ranging from chemotropic bacteria to an elephant, all evolved from a single cell proves the famous saying "unity in diversity" to its true sense..

I am particularly interested in studying evolutionary genomics as advances in technology lead to sequencing of genomes of various organisms and bestowed us with pool of genomic data. I believe this data can be analyzed in relation to different species and valuable information regarding their evolutionary history can be obtained. In words of a researcher "Genomes are giving a better view of tree of Life on Earth" For instance, A recent study by comparing the sequences of Human, Chimpanzee and Gorilla revealed that chimpanzee rather than gorilla are our closest relative

In conclusion, I would once again like to express my zeal and eagerness to be trained at your prestigious lab. I am sure that I will work with the best minds of the present time during my tenure at your lab and I believe this opportunity will grant me platform to showcase my ideas and develop them into useful and productive results that will benefit humanity. In my view, dedication and determination is the key for a successful and fruitful research. This coupled with my sincerity and inquisitive nature will prove to be an asset to your esteemed institute as I have deep rooted enthusiasm for research. I am ready to give my hundred percent efforts to the project as this project will help me in my future endeavors in genome research. I sincerely hope that my work at your institute shall instigate changes that will lead to the betterment of the society.
All these questions made me more excited and I opted for life sciences as major during my intermediate level studies.

I suggest:
All these excitements contribute to the advent of my passion for life sciences which I opted as my major for the intermediate level studies.

Questions like why there are certain characters which are specific to humans, why only humans developed the power of speech, why apart from 90% similarity with other primates humans are very different and possess some unique characters? were always fascinating for me.

the word "like" gets repeated here, so I suggest you to rephrase this sentence:
Why there are certain characters which are specific to humans?; why only humans developed the power of speech?; why apart from 90% similarity with other primates humans are very different and possess some unique characters?. These were a few questions that often facinated me.
OP akanksha21 1 / 2  
Dear Dumi,

Thanks a lots for the corrections.
SynapseEditing - / 5  
Hi Akanksha,

This is an application for PhD, so you'd need to be a bit more elaborate about what you've done so far. You've talked about what draws you towards biology, but that's not as important at this stage as it would be for an undergrad. Consider keeping that to a minimum, and instead, going into more detail about the research work you've done in your Master's. Mention any significant results you've achieved, papers published, and reports/dissertations written.

Please reconsider the ideas you're using for your essay to be more effective!

For more help, tricks and techniques you can look at our Facebook page. Find us at Facebook/synapse.editing.

Best of luck,

Synapse Editing
OP akanksha21 1 / 2  
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the valuable inputs. I have edited everything and prepared a new draft. I need your valuable input on this. Please help me regarding the same.I have written this for PhD prog in biology with concentration on computational methods for evolutionary studies.

From the beginning I was a person with a flair for reasoning, I was always interested in knowing the reason behind the things particularly, things which surround us and this inquisitiveness further persuaded me to tread in the field of life sciences as mysteries behind the process which collectively yield "life" always drew my attention. Eventually, I opted for biology background during my high school.

During my under graduation I opted for major in Bioinformatics, which can be succinctly described as a blend of informatics approaches to solve biological problems. I took the course because I knew that this course would not only provide me a platform to broaden my understanding about the complex biological problems but also help me to acquire required skills for providing solutions to these problems using computational, logical and mathematical approaches.

During the course of my undergraduate study, I studied multiplicity of subjects like genomics and proteomics, Computational biology, molecular evolution and phylogeny, Advance programming in bioinformatics etc. The curriculum of this course was so nicely designed that it not only helped me in building strong basics but also introduced me to new era in the field of biology where biological problems are not only limited to the conventional lab works but can be solved using hi-tech computers and specially designed biological softwares. I came to know about the recent discoveries in the field of life sciences and how computational approaches are playing important role in revolutionizing every aspect of science.

In the due course, I did my summer project at "G.B Pant Agriculture University, CBSH, Dept. of Molecular Biology and Genetic Engineering" on the topic entitled as "Comparative analysis of insulinomimetic phytochemicals and insulin receptor" in which I used the bioinformatics softwares to analyze the insulinomimetic properties of the phytochemicals which broadened my understanding regarding the use of softwares to analyze the biological properties of phytochemicals.

I have an interest in keeping an eye for latest ongoing research in the field as well as the opportunities available for undergraduate students in other institutions. This interest led me to take part in "Sanger Prize 2011" which is a competition conducted by 'Welcome trust Sanger Institute', U.K. and I got an opportunity to work on an essay regarding the scenario of genomic research and its impact. While working on this essay, I was introduced to the promising field of genomics in detail and how the modern technology is exploring the dimensions which were considered unrealistic in the past. The essay was among the best 5 and persuaded me for having a research career in the field of genomics.

I endeavored to know more about this field and my efforts as well as the guidance from the faculties resulted into getting me two scientific publications in the field of genomic studies. Genomics has wide range of areas and applications and as I explored it, I came to know that it is the evolutionary genomics which interests me a lot. The questions like why there are certain characters which are specific to humans, why only human developed the power of speech, why apart from 90% similarity with other primates humans are very different and possess some unique characters, were always fascinating for me. My enthrallment towards learning more about the origin and evolutionary aspect of science led me to work on project which uses computational approaches to trace back the evolutionary pattern of a gene as final semester project. During this project, I conducted computational calculations of the evolution driven phenotypic changes in the CENPJ protein, that act as a central constituent in cell cycle progression pathway. The observations indicated that the nucleotide variations in its coding region have a significant role in producing a stable trajectory of its functional motif. In this way, I was able to deduce a relationship between the changes which occurred during the course of evolution in this particular protein and how it helped in shaping the present form of protein and its functional relevance.

I have been a student with a very consistent and good academic record throughout the course. I was among the top 10% of the class and also the recipient of the prestigious "Merit Scholarship" offered by the VIT University. I am a firm believer of sharing ideas and knowledge and believe that it plays a significant role in shaping one's personality. Presentations in national and international conferences provided me an opportunity to explore beyond the horizons of routine syllabus. I represented my college during some national and international conferences and was honored with the "Young Scientist Award" at MOLMED 2012: An international conference of Molecular Medicine conducted at VIT University, for the best poster and oral presentation.

Apart from pool of academic qualifications, I have a keen interest in the extracurricular activities. I believe that a person learns more from his surrounding and knowledge increases more when it is shared. In order to promote this; I started a discussion group named as "CompBio Discussion Group" in my department which aims at conducting regular meetings and events in order to enhance our knowledge in the field of computational biology. While working for various student chapters and societies, I improved my managerial skills as well as also got an opportunity to view learning from a different perspective. I was also part of Regional Student Council- India of ISCB and participated in various activities conducted by RSG-India which enhanced my communication skills. I coordinated several events in Technical Symposiums conducted by VIT University.

I believe that the skills I acquired during the course as well as "the pursuit to explore novel methods for solving biological enigmas" is driving me to place myself to another level and increase my domain level understanding by opting for graduate program in this field. I look forward to a career in committed research where I can not only use my academic background to achieve my research goals but also make original scientific contributions to my field of interest and to mankind in general. I believe that graduate studies would provide me with the opportunities to attend advanced courses and be the stepping stone to my career in research.

Yale Combined program in Biological and Biomedical Sciences is one of the unique in its types. It is flexible and has a rigorous, well established curriculum in order to prepare a graduate student in every aspect. The ongoing research is interdisciplinary in nature but the work of Dr. X and Dr. Y interests me a lot.

In conclusion, I would once again like to express my zeal and eagerness to join the BBS graduate program. In my view, dedication and determination is the key for a successful and fruitful research. This coupled with my sincerity and inquisitive nature will prove to be an asset to your esteemed institute and hence I place my candidature before Admission Committee for positive consideration of my application for admission in the said program.

Home / Graduate / essay for PhD position in evolutionary biology