Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Cover letter for post-doctoral position in synthetic biology.

GF_Han 1 / -  
Hi,

I wish someone to check my cover letter, I am very grateful for your anticipation.

*********************

It is my great pleasure to apply for the research associate at the division of molecular biosciences, faculty of natural sciences, with reference number XXX. I have completed a PhD in control engineering at the University of XXX in February 2011. I am now a post doctoral researcher in system biology at the same University, the short project finishes at the end of this June.

My interest in synthetic biology has grown out of recent experience working on modelling of biological systems. During my post-doc in this interdisciplinary research, we model immune cell interactions using ordinary differential equations. We attempt to answer how immune cell populations switch from a healthy to a pathologic inflammatory response as a result of modified feedback interactions.

My PhD concerns stability analysis of dynamical systems in the form of linear and nonlinear ODEs with time delays. I am therefore knowledgeable in control theory, complex delay systems, complex networks theory, dynamical systems theory, nonlinear dynamics and linear algebra. I believe my strong background in control, system theory and the experience in system biology will be very useful for the project of enhancing photosynthesis.

Being well aware of your outstanding academic accomplishments, I would greatly appreciate if you provided me with an opportunity to work as a research associate under your supervision. Enclosed is my CV for your close review.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you very much in anticipation for your consideration.

Sincerely yours
I am very grateful for your anticipation.

Check the meaning of "anticipation."It means something other than what you think it means.

That first paragraph is professionally written, but it will be great if you can add some key idea about what unique strengths you have to offer. Can you plant the MAIN IDEA of the letter somewhere in that first paragraph? What is your special idea that will make the reader favor you?

My interest in synthetic biology has grown out of recent experience working on modelling of biological systems. During my post-doc in this interdisciplinary research, we model immune cell interactions using ordinary differential equations. We attempt to answer explain how immune cell populations ...----OKAY, AND at the end of this paragraph add a sentence to show how this knowledge will help you contribute in the position for which you are applying.

No need for "with"
...if you provided me with an opportunity to work as a research associate under your supervision. Enclosed is my CV for your close review.

Okay, this is very good, but can you add a little bit about how you will benefit the reader and the reader's current activities? That will make this great letter even more impressive.

:-)

thanks for participating in EssayForum! I think a lot of the kids here could benefit from collaborating with and learning from you.

Home / Letters / Cover letter for post-doctoral position in synthetic biology.