Pls evaluate SoP for MS in Comp SC

PoornimaPrabhu 1 / 1  
This SoP if for MS Comp SC in a university that values research. Pls evaluate

------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------
A course on BASIC imparted as part of computer education during my school days created in me a interest in programming. Simple lines of code which created lines and circles fascinated me. A good score in my 12th grade strengthened my desire to pursue education in a computer science field and this prompted me to take xxx as my under graduate major in xxxx college (affiliated to xxx University, xxx)credited to be one of the best engineering schools in India

I completed my Bachelors in July 2006 and was among the top ten among a strength of 50 to top the class. My undergraduate degree gave me a strong foundation to my analytical and aptitude skills. Working on various lab assignments I realized that I had good reasoning skills and a strong flair for programming. Software Engineering, Data structures, Algorithms, Operating Systems, Computer networks and Cryptography were some courses that I took during my undergrad years. As part of curriculum, I had the opportunity to do a project on File system Implementation using Extendible Hashing technique. I worked in C and C graphics to achieve this. Apart from working on various course work problems, I was an active member of a students research group in wireless network(WINGS: WIreless Innovation Group of SJCE). Taking part in technical group discussions, I realized the importance of innovation and research in finding optimized solutions to technical problems. Being part of the group, along with a team of 3 people, I went on to work on a protocol for ensuring Quality Oriented Service (QoS) in Mobile Adhoc Networks. This was later presented as final year project, as part of completion of undergrad degree and won appreciation from the faculty members. Recognizing my technical abilities, xxxxxx (one of the reputed Information Technology firms in India) recruited me and I started as a Programmer Analyst in the month of September 2006.

The job at xxxxx gave me an opportunity to work with unlimited challenges and prove my abilities. It gave a platform to hone my existing technical skills with a proper blend of professionalism. I had the opportunity to work on numerous technologies and gained a thorough insight into the Software Development Life Cycle. I have been working on Core Java, J2EE and Java related emerging open source technologies like Spring, Struts, Ajax and Jasper Reports.

My first role was as a developer in the CoE (Center Of Excellence) for Java. This provided me excellent opportunity to understand the nuances of the SDLC. Being a part of CoE, my first assignment was to develop a portal for managing the technical needs of numerous campus recruits using Hibernate, Spring and xxxxx specific framework. The portal catered to a huge audience of 1200 with various needs like tracking learning issues, uploading assignments and publishing online tests. I was one of the developer among the team size of 5. Apart from being part of the development team, took additional roles like managing the timely releases and interacting with numerous stake holders.

Apart from working on a GUI based web portal, I also experimented working on a non-GUI based application. I worked as a developer in a assignment in a team of size 8 for the client, xxxxx. The assignment involved developing network layered services to transport the mail piece information in a postal automation system. The domain was new and there was a need for a quick ramp up on the domain knowledge. I was quick enough to grasp the nitty-gritty of the new domain and took the ownership of a single module. Utilizing my strong grasping abilities, I took an additional task to work with the Testing team to create various scenarios and carry out tests on the software, ensuring zero defects. This additional responsibility gave me an insight into the importance of assuring quality to the software. The assignment was completed in scheduled time and won accolades from the client for successfully completing the factory acceptance test. My contribution was appreciated tremendously and I bagged a Spot Award in the team.

Following this I have also played the role of a senior developer and mentored the juniors in the team. In my previous assignment, deviating away from the routine development role, I donned the hat of Configuration Manager for a team size of 52. The assignment consisted of developing a consolidated ecommerce website for Asia Pacific region. xxxxxx was the customer. It was a complex one and the deadlines were stringent. Additional to the responsibilities of a Configuration Manager, I set up automatic daily code build system and code back up system. Armed with the limited knowledge on the code repository I worked hard to fulfill the responsibilities that my new role demanded. I also took additional task of mentoring team mates in handling code artifacts and managing timely releases. I further when on to interact with various client contacts to ensure smooth deployment on various environment at their end within the given timeline. Due to this all the releases were delivered within the time and the website went live on scheduled time. The assignment won accolades from the client and xxxxxx further went on to win two more projects from the same customer. My efforts invoked tremendous appreciation and I bagged a 10/10 category award. Being a Configuration Manager made me a good team player as I was successful in interacting, gaining trust and co-operation of such a large team.

As part of enhancing my technical skills, I have cleared SCJP 5.0 certification from Sun Microsystems. My extra curricular activities include photography. Some of my collections are uploaded at National Geographic website, xxxx. Apart from experimenting with cameras, I also enjoy reading books. I maintain a regular blog at xxxxx and a photo blog at xxxx. I am also lending a hand as a volunteer at xxxx, a website which is working towards reviving *Konkani language. Currently I am working on a task of translating the English proverbs to Konkani.

Working on numerous software systems, many a times I have felt euphorific finding optimal innovative solutions to complex problems. I now wish to explore my field of interest further by doing Masters in Computer Science with a specialization in Software Systems and Computer Security. By Sep 2010, I would have completed 4 yrs in the field of software technology. My rich industry experience and a good academic record has given me the maturity and the required aptitude to explore newer areas. Browsing through the xxxx website I came across the MS degree program. I have heard a lot about the scientific research carried out in xxxx and it's learned faculty from my seniors. I feel that the MS program suits a person like me who has a good academic and professional background and a desire to do deepen her understanding in the field of Computer Science. Given a strong technical and professional foundation gained by my rich industry experience I believe that I have a lot to offer to xxxx. Hence, I request the graduate committee to consider my application. I assure you that I shall work towards giving a worthy contribution to the institution, if I am selected.

*Konkani: One of the ancient languages spoken in India
durian 2 / 6  
The essay contains a lot of grammatical erros and needs revision, a few errors are mentioned here to give you an idea -

Simple lines of code which created lines and circles fascinated me.

use "that created"

Please rephrase the following - among and top are repeated twice
I completed my Bachelors in July 2006 and was among the top ten among a strength of 50 to top the class.

what is an - "aptitude skill"?? I think 'aptitude' is not a skill...

I think these subjects are mentioned in your transcripts. I dont see why you should repeat.
"Software Engineering, Data structures, Algorithms, Operating Systems, Computer networks and Cryptography were some courses that I took during my undergrad years"

Please remove the redundancy
had the opportunity to do a project on File system Implementation using Extendible Hashing technique

I would suggest you rewrite the whole essay and make it more interesting. You have given a summary of your activities and events... but worked very less on crafting them for "statement of purpose". It is extremely boring!!
OP PoornimaPrabhu 1 / 1  
Hi Swati,

Thanks for your opinion. I will work on it and post the modified one. :)
Overwatch_UA 2 / 14  
Hi!

I agree with durian. You need to add a spark into your sop. It shouldn't turn into a resume with a list of jobs, projects and responsibilities. In its current form your sop won't make you stand out, even though you have lots of great accomplishments and experiences.

Think of how to tell the same story of working at X as a life-changing experience of some sort.

Note that sop isn't a place for tech details and you've got plenty of those =)

You probably need to read more examples of creative and successful essays to inspire yourself. That way you'll try to think of your past and current experiences from a different angle; and you'll become able to portray those in an interesting way.

I really liked some of these: infozee/application-issues/sample/sample-essay-mba.htm

Good luck!

Home / Graduate / Pls evaluate SoP for MS in Comp SC