I'm in posession of a solid recommendation for a place at the International University of Japan

My personal statement for graduate studies

I am a Liberian and a graduate of the University of Liberia with Bachelor of Science degree in Economics.
I value the chance to present myself to the International University of Japan and I see it as a comprehensive possibility to support my application process for the Master program in International Development. When I was in high school and college, I had lots of economic and financial challenges which lead me to developed more interest in Economics. As an Intern and full-time employee working at the Ministry of Finance (now Ministry of Finance and Development Planning), I grew more interest in Economics but with focus on Macroeconomics and Development Economics as my career goals. I started doing some personal search about macroeconomic policies that can help a least developing country like Liberia. I went deep into the search and I came across Japan; I started reading about Japan's economy after the World War II, where I found an article entitled "Japanese post-war economic miracle". After reading the article, I said to myself, let me find a graduate school in Japan that is offering Development Economics, Macroeconomics or International Development. Later I found the International University of Japan, which is Japan's oldest graduate and English-based school. Because of my passion and dream to be a Macroeconomist or Development Economist, I started reading the various programs offer at the University. After carefully reading the curriculums and the course requirements, I consider that it completely matches my interest and profile; I picked the International University of Japan as my choice because of it excellent academic programs and Faculty Members. With my educational background and working experience, I strongly trust that I am a right candidate for the program.

My motivation for coming to the International University of Japan is based on the above mentioned and also on the following: (a) The University Mission to teach and conduct research in academic theory and application necessary to develop proactive solutions for issues facing the international society and businesses; (b) for it truly international learning environment; (c) Global Human Network Building; (d) Excellent Faculty Members: most of who earned their doctoral degrees at the best-known schools in the United States and Europe; (e) Careful career support; (f) Practical research activities and (g) the Excellent Academic programs.

I would conduct a special research on Foreign Aid and Development: with this topic: Can Foreign Aid develop a developing country? The advantages and disadvantages of foreign aid to developing countries and using my country (Liberia) as a case study. I found these topics important due to the massive foreign aids Liberia had received and still receiving since it independence in 1847 but still remains one of the poorest countries in the world. I would focus my studies on Macroeconomics and Development Economics. These courses or subjects would lead me to my career goals.

In closing, I understand this program is very competitive, attracting highly motivated students like myself. But I am convinced that my undergraduate record (s) and professional experience plus my recommenders give me a solid recommendation for a place at the International University of Japan. Hence, I would be highly glad if the International University of Japan decides to accept my candidateship for graduate studies. I am aware of possible challenges and high investments of effort I will have to apply in order to positively and effectively complete my graduate studies and with the dream of moving forward for a doctoral degree.
Byron, were you being asked to write a personal statement with a study plan? This is not a normal masters degree personal statement so I am wondering as to why your presentation is so specific to the point of discussing a study plan. Anyway, since this is a masters degree course you are applying for, your childhood education, specifically your high school education is irrelevant to the discussion. Rather, you can introduce your interest starting from college, just adjust your sentence to remove the high school reference. It will also be better for your application if you mention a specific area of Economics that you gained an interest in as an employee of the Ministry of Finance. What is the backgrounder regarding this professional interest? What specific information were you looking for and why? How did this lead you to the research about Japan's development after WW2 and how is it relevant to the problem you were facing?

Rather than simply enumerating the reasons why you are enrolling at the University of Japan, you should be connecting each aspect to a professional or academic goal that you have. Which means you should omit the mention of letters D and G. Speak directly about how you plan to utilize the remaining opportunities as a student and upon graduation once you return to your country.

I am not sold on the idea that this essay requires a presentation of your study plan (special research). Then again, you did not post the complete prompt requirement so I may be wrong. I will refrain from commenting on that aspect of your work since I have my doubts about its relevance. If you can clarify its needs then maybe, maybe I can come back and offer advice about how to make it more effective.

Home / Graduate / I'm in posession of a solid recommendation for a place at the International University of Japan