PTCAS - improve the human experience

novelmoko 1 / 1  
Prompt: "APTA's vision for physical therapy is 'transforming society by optimizing movement to improve the human experience'. How will you embody this vision as a future physical therapist?"

An object at rest tends to stay at rest, unless acted upon by an external force. From a young age, I was always fascinated with the inner workings of the human body. I dabbled with the ideas of becoming a trauma doctor, or maybe a medical examiner someday down the road, but something about these professions was lacking to me. I needed a greater reach; a continuum beyond the waiting room, to be a force. It wasn't until I danced my way into an orthopedic office that my eyes were opened to the world of physical therapy. I was amazed by the many methods involved in the healing process; the therapist provided me with an understanding of my program, with emotional support when things weren't going as expected, and the knowledge to continue my care once my visits were up. It was clear that her concern was not only for the issue at hand, but my entire well-being. The staff's commitment to each patient's individual success moved me, and got me moving again

Since my initial visit, I have spent many hours in the offices' of physical therapists. Often as a patient, however, I always prefer to be on the other end of the stick. While an intern at an out-patient clinic, I had the opportunity to work closely under multiple accomplished physical therapists. They demonstrated the importance of ongoing education of one's self; to be a strong force, provide the best care possible to patients, and improve the field of physical therapy as a whole, it is necessary to continuously seek out the most advanced research and techniques. The therapists also displayed how significant a role patient education plays in the integrity treatment. When you understand what you are doing, why you're doing it and know how to do it - you are much more likely to continue with the instructions at hand and preform your best. I also had the privilege of working with many inspiring patients through their programs; future athletes, care givers, and surgeons alike, all lying on the same tables. Hearing their stories gave me perspective on the need for accessible care and education of injury prevention, many people are in need of care and unable to receive it. My experiences with these individuals led me to see that it is not just their limbs that are in the hands of physical therapists, but their life, and the lives of all of the people that they touch as well.

Working as a behavioral therapist for pediatrics with Autism, I have grown to understand a lot about the gravity of positive relationships. When someone's health is in your hands they want to feel comfortable with the decisions being made and the care being implemented. Being able to look past an injury or disability and show that you care for the person can greatly influence a patient's drive to recover. As a physical therapist, I want to instill patients with a confidence in me, their treatment, and in themselves. I will strive to integrate the various interconnected disciplines of physical therapy with a holistic view of the human being in order to bring people the care they deserve. In essence, I wish to provide and sustain society with the tools they need to live a more happy, healthy, and fulfilling lifestyle in the hopes that they will provide the same for another; after all, an object in motion, tends to stay in motion.
anfernee 6 / 19 13  
something about these professions was lacking to me Sounds a little bit awkward

but ALSO my entire well-being

it is not just their limbs that are in the hands of physical therapists, but their life, and the lives of all of the people that they touch as well.--- how about " physical therapists not only hold their limbs in hands, but also their life.

Overall, your essay is really well-written and strong. I can see your motivation and love for being a physical therapist. Also, you connect your real world experience to what the prompt asks for. I would like to see others' suggestions in this thread.
Sara, you must retain your first and last paragraphs. These are moving and highly informative with regards to representing your interest in physical therapy and your future vision for yourself as a therapist. However, I urge you to review and replace your second paragraph. It talks too much about what you observed and what you saw. As such, it deviated from the topic.

The second paragraph should contain information that will lead the reviewer to realize that because you were always on the receiving end of the treatment, you slowly came to understand how you can help improve the human experience during the therapy sessions. Imagine yourself as a licensed therapist at this point. You have a difficult patient who refuses to move because he was traumatized by his accident and injury. Think of a treatment plan.

How would you encourage him to find joy in the painful sessions? This is where the discussion where the "human experience" comes in. You are a part of that human experience. What visions do you have for this patient? How would you help him get over his trauma and encourage him to optimize his limited movement at present so that he can regain full movement in the future? That is one way to approach the response to this question in relation to your vision as a future physical therapist. If you can develop an acceptable treatment plan, regardless of how amateur it is, as long as it is possible to implement, you may just be able to increase your chances at admission :-)
OP novelmoko 1 / 1  
Thank you for the feedback! @vangiespen - I had a hard time trying to figure out what to put in the middle. I was afraid to preach too much about my own experiences in PT as I'm sure they hear that a lot, but I really like that direction. I'll see what I can do!

Home / Graduate / PTCAS - improve the human experience