Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

'reaffirmed by my current job as an ED Scribe' - CASPA PA School Narrative

abdulr204 1 / -  
I everyone, I would greatly appreciate some feed back on my narrative

Deciding on what you want to do for the rest of your life is not an easy decision to make. When I first started college I did not commit to one specific career. I knew I wanted to work in medicine but had to narrow my choice down because this field is ever changing. It wasn't until I took my first human anatomy class that I learned how fascinating the human body really is. The human body is the most perfect machine ever built. It is comprised of cells, blood, organs, muscles and bones that come together perfectly to achieve harmony. After this class I knew I wanted to work in a field that allowed me study the human body.

Not only did I want to study the human body I also want to help people. I want to give back to community and be productive member of society. I had narrowed my choices down to becoming a doctor or a physician assistant. I decided on becoming a P.A. because this is a field that is growing, has great job stability, offers great wages, and I would be able to work with patients after 2 years.

My desires to become a physician assistant have been reaffirmed by my current job as an ED Scribe. As an ED scribe I had the opportunity to work alongside a ED physician for 10 hours every shift. I went into every patient's room and the chance to see an average of 20 different history and physicals on a daily basis. I would see everything from a minor abrasion to a patient having an acute cardiac emergency. As an ED scribe it is my job to keep the physician's charts organized, record laboratory and radiology tests and inform the physician of any abnormal results. I will never forget one of the most shocking abnormal lab values I found. I was working an overnight shift on a unusually busy night for the ED with at least 25 patients in the waiting room. As I browsed through the name of the patients waiting to be seen, I noticed some of them had some tests results. The chief complaint on one such patient was chest pain and he had all of his laboratory results done. As I looked through his test results, I was astonished to find he had a positive troponin. I immediately informed the physician I was working with and the patient was brought to a room right away. Luckily this patient was not having a active heart attack and was admitted for further cardiac evaluation. The ED physician thanked me for finding that result and stated that she was surprised that none of the members of the ED knew about the abnormal value.

Working in the ED, I have a unique opportunity to observe and learn from multiple physicians. On a daily basis I see ED doctors, physician assistants, and residents. When observing the ED P.As I noticed they had autonomy when working and would only consult the supervising doctor on difficult cases. They see their own patients, order whatever they feel is necessary and make a disposition based on their findings. After seeing them in action I knew I had made the right correct choice in my future career. Even more than that I knew exactly where I want to work after completing my education, the emergency department.

Working in the ED granted me a very exclusive opportunity to gain insight and knowledge into patient care. After seeing each patient I would have the chance to see what tests the doctor ordered and I usually would ask why they ordered one test over another or why they didn't order anything at all. Also I have the chance to listen in on conversation between the residents and attending physicians. One minute they would discuss whether or not to treat a an ear infection with antibiotics and a few minutes later they would discuss if a stroke patient is a candidate to receive TPA. All of this knowledge will be invaluable in my education.

I have been aspiring to be a physician assistant ever since the early years of my college career. Being a P.A. I will have the ability to provide excellent care to every patient while being part of a bigger team. I had the opportunity to witness different physicians examine a wide variety of patients and treat them while working as a scribe in the ED. Once I am accepted to a physician assistant program I will put all of life my experiences to work .

Home / Graduate / 'reaffirmed by my current job as an ED Scribe' - CASPA PA School Narrative